Driving to Ensenada

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew_

Reaction score
I used to bring dogs across the border for a rescue in Tijuana. The law states (for coming to the US) you have to have the vaccination records for the dogs but I was never asked for it. As long as you have less than 4 dogs or so they don’t care. The Mexican officials don’t care about bringing dogs into mexico. Don’t bring a ton of dog food though, they will try and tax you on that.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
thanks for the replies so far. anyone had a bad experience on the relatively short drive? 10 years ago we were driving near Tulum on the other coast and a fake (or so we thought) officer in an unmarked car tried to pull us over for nothing. that ended up being really scary and straight out a movie kind of chase. we don't want anything like that with our 9 year old in the truck. i would think on a weekend in July there are lots of people crossing the border and driving down for the weekend, right?

also, is it a dumb idea to bring our dog or has anyone done it and can confirm it's no big deal to cross back with her as long as all the paperwork is in order?

thanks for the advice on crossing at Tecate. That's on our way anyway since we're coming from Phx.

But is the best plan to take the 1, 10, or 201?

thanks again.

I don't know that I'd bring a dog. Lots of strays at every small town and gas station, plus, for the most part, bringing a dog back across is just going to mean you'll most likely end up in secondary inspection.

Are you towing anything? doing no more than 62 on 8 in cali might make you angry if so.

on the way down...

In the US, i'd take 8 across to tecate, then once crossing, I'd take 3 all the way to ensenada. The green angels are operating on most of the northern baja toll roads. just be well educated on the nuances of mexico rules of the road ( in particular left turn signals).

I'd also make sure all of your passengers are wise to military checkpoint etiquette and what to watch out for.

On the way back, I'd take 3 to 2D, cross into the US at mexicali East then just pick up the 8 off of 98.

whatever you do, do not say "hola, gracias" or any other remedial spanish words with mexican officials at checkpoints. If you dont know spanish, simply say " lo siento, no habla espanol" and leave it at that. Otherwise, once they respond in spanish to your spanish, and you dont understand, they may get a little grumpy.

also- even as a joke, dont ask the mexican infantry soldiers if you can shoot their gun. ( they have like zero sense of humor)

baja619

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Our family is thinking of taking a long weekend trip to Ensenada. For you who've done the drive without a large group, could you please let us know how safe it is and if there were any concerns at all? Wife is a little nervous. Also, have any of you brought your dog and were there any issues?

Thanks ahead of time.

Raptor related because we'd be driving our Magnetic 2018.

OK,only speaking from a "single guys" POV and would hope "families" are safer to travel down that way,but my last 2 experiences have made me tell all my friends and family to smack me and chain me to tree if I ever mention going to TJ area again...I use to go to Ensenada every year when visiting family in CA...never had a problem....but last time down to Ensenada was stopped for passing a Stop Sign that was NOT there...the "officer" pointed out a 20 year old STOP painted on the road,that could bearly be made out...Drivers License was held hostage until I paid him a "FINE"....when I paid him,he took out about 20 Licenses out of his pocket...figuring locals that couldnt pay the fine or decided to go to "court".....After that experience I didnt worry much about going back down..but a year later heading down I stopped in TJ (BIG MISTAKE,DONT DO IT)....Again,as a single guy I guess the "Policia" figure they can get away with more...I was stopped coming out of a store,asked me what I bought,said nothing,they made me empty my pockets and backpack and found a bottle of my medications (LEGAL)..."whats THIS"?? My Pills....."Your in BIG trouble"....next thing I know I'm in handcuffs in back of police car heading out of town...can we say "shit stained BVD's"...I;m figuring a bullet in head out in desert...but I speak some spanish and could make out they were deciding to take me to jail or "shake me down"... well they shook...LOL...stopped car in middle of know where got my wallet out and took EVERYTHING....they were pulling away and I asked them if they could so kindly take me back to the Border...."SURE MY FRIEND,GET IN"... I've never been so scared in my life.....Wont go into story about getting back into USA thru Customs with NO ID....even after telling them I WAS JUST ROBBED......
Anyway....my way of thinking....I'LL NEVER spend my tourist $$$ in Mexico again...Keep it home in USA,or other countries that appreciate us and dont see $$ signs on our heads...
Sorry for the rant...but thats my story....my one suggestion,which I did AFTER I got home is check some sites..there are some that are TOTALLY about Americans who have had trouble,been arrested,kidnapped ....my Uncle found one after I got back to his place and showed me and said I was LUCKY...some guys were held until families paid $5K ransom.....Just Google Tijuana Scams and make your decision after reading some of the blogs....
Good luck however you decide.:33:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you crazy ? why would you put your families life at risk ? go to Dominican Republic !!!
TOTALLY AGREE.....read my story I posted about Mexico.>!! Not to get off track,but have been going to Costa Rica for 20 years...even had a house down there...NOT 1 PROBLEM in all those years..!
Only problem is it might be EXPENSIVE to get that Raptor shipped to D.R. or C.R. .. LOL
Hell,go to Alaska..go to Canada...go to Death Valley,anyplace in USA..but TJ/Ensanada... NOT!

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
i dont know when this thread derailed, but it sounds like those with bad experiences made the error of playing in TJ or making bad choices. I like the sleepy towns. I carry 2 wallets. I keep my head on a swivel, and Ive not had any issues outside of getting shaken down for a 6 pack.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Uh....all of the above?...
I used to cross into Mexico by myself at TJ super early in the morn (0200 - 0300) to join the motorcycle Team I was chasing for....
No more...I'll go solo if I have to but during regular daytime hours..As suggested, bring your wallet, but hide most of your cash somewhere else so if you wind up dealing with the local Policia and you break out the wallet all he'll see is 2 or 3 Twenties...Stay away from TJ as if it was radioactive!...
Ensanada is pretty mellow, but people will walk by the truck and steal stuff right out of the back...
Racers trick - I bring plenty of off road stickers!...they are currency down there...
Was down last Nov for the 1000, no issues....and yup lots of Raptors running around...

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Uh....all of the above?...
I used to cross into Mexico by myself at TJ super early in the morn (0200 - 0300) to join the motorcycle Team I was chasing for....
No more...I'll go solo if I have to but during regular daytime hours..As suggested, bring your wallet, but hide most of your cash somewhere else so if you wind up dealing with the local Policia and you break out the wallet all he'll see is 2 or 3 Twenties...Stay away from TJ as if it was radioactive!...
Ensanada is pretty mellow, but people will walk by the truck and steal stuff right out of the back...
Racers trick - I bring plenty of off road stickers!...they are currency down there...
Was down last Nov for the 1000, no issues....and yup lots of Raptors running around...

king stickers seem to be accepted as $1 currency in some parts of baja.

I also keep a letter from the tourism board in my truck. I saved it from one of the Exo runs. It comes in real handy sometimes.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK,only speaking from a "single guys" POV and would hope "families" are safer to travel down that way,but my last 2 experiences have made me tell all my friends and family to smack me and chain me to tree if I ever mention going to TJ area again...I use to go to Ensenada every year when visiting family in CA...never had a problem....but last time down to Ensenada was stopped for passing a Stop Sign that was NOT there...the "officer" pointed out a 20 year old STOP painted on the road,that could bearly be made out...Drivers License was held hostage until I paid him a "FINE"....when I paid him,he took out about 20 Licenses out of his pocket...figuring locals that couldnt pay the fine or decided to go to "court".....After that experience I didnt worry much about going back down..but a year later heading down I stopped in TJ (BIG MISTAKE,DONT DO IT)....Again,as a single guy I guess the "Policia" figure they can get away with more...I was stopped coming out of a store,asked me what I bought,said nothing,they made me empty my pockets and backpack and found a bottle of my medications (LEGAL)..."whats THIS"?? My Pills....."Your in BIG trouble"....next thing I know I'm in handcuffs in back of police car heading out of town...can we say "shit stained BVD's"...I;m figuring a bullet in head out in desert...but I speak some spanish and could make out they were deciding to take me to jail or "shake me down"... well they shook...LOL...stopped car in middle of know where got my wallet out and took EVERYTHING....they were pulling away and I asked them if they could so kindly take me back to the Border...."SURE MY FRIEND,GET IN"... I've never been so scared in my life.....Wont go into story about getting back into USA thru Customs with NO ID....even after telling them I WAS JUST ROBBED......
Anyway....my way of thinking....I'LL NEVER spend my tourist $$$ in Mexico again...Keep it home in USA,or other countries that appreciate us and dont see $$ signs on our heads...
Sorry for the rant...but thats my story....my one suggestion,which I did AFTER I got home is check some sites..there are some that are TOTALLY about Americans who have had trouble,been arrested,kidnapped ....my Uncle found one after I got back to his place and showed me and said I was LUCKY...some guys were held until families paid $5K ransom.....Just Google Tijuana Scams and make your decision after reading some of the blogs....
Good luck however you decide.:33:

This is my exact "expectation" of what would happen if i ever went to any part of mexico. So I wont go. Just not worth the hassle, no matter how pretty it is or how nice "most" of the people are.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. Right now way too many aspects about mexico are smokey as hell.