Driving on the beach? Yes/No

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have driven on lots of beaches, just don't drive near the water where the sand is wet, that's where most get stuck or flip over, scre wing around. Take pics and have a blast.

MGA

Reaction score
Do it! I own up there and am back and forth all winter but rent it out in the summer. In the summer I run 22psi and will only drive about 5 - 10 miles on the road (speed limits are 45 or less) if needed, in the winter I run 28psi and will run 20 miles on pavement without airing back up if needed. The reason I point that out is I am frequently back and forth going to the stores and such during the week. I have never had a problem on the beach - watch your speed 35 mph on beach and 15mph within 100m of people! Also as others have said hit a car wash with under carriage wash or slide under with a hose and you will be good. As an FYI, my place is 6.5 miles up the beach.

Gatica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love it over there and ride on the beach all day. I do take my wash kit with me and will hit the undercarriage multiple times during the stay. Once I get back from vacation I do a full wash and detail. I also do the Jersey shore beach that's a drive on and 144k miles 2017 no rust at all.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amsoil HDMP once you get the truck new when it’s clean & dry for a few days give 2-3 coats all over (aside from shocks simply b/c it’s a semi-permanent product & will tint them yellow slightly)

Shepherd_

Reaction score
I'm looking at booking a vacation home, and one of them is a 3 mile drive down the beach in Corolla NC. My concern is getting salt on the undercarriage and making more surface rust. What do you guys think? Should I do it, or is the risk greater than the reward lol. I *should* have my truck by summer :).

We drive our Raptors in Corova Beach (what you refer to Corolla) every Sunday during the Summer - Just wash the under carriage (we use a sprinkler). No issues!

allllaann

Reaction score
I love it over there and ride on the beach all day. I do take my wash kit with me and will hit the undercarriage multiple times during the stay. Once I get back from vacation I do a full wash and detail. I also do the Jersey shore beach that's a drive on and 144k miles 2017 no rust at all.
Which beach did you go to in NJ that's a drive on? Be interested to check it out

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I gotta admit that I don't understand the Raptor forum sometimes. Here's what my Raptor and Porsche look like for 90% of every winter. What is it that you guys think is gonna happen? :cool:
View attachment 337917
View attachment 337918
If you’re just gonna use em & swap em out every few years, yeah nothing to worry bout. But….the amount of corrosion that can occur from only a couple of winters w/ rock salt/brine embedded everywhere in every nook & cranny of your vehicle is pretty significant, let alone leaving it sitting next to the ocean salt air blasting it day in day out & THEN actually driving in/around sea water? It’ll chew up your bushings, ball joints, any exposed steel nut/bolt/line the welds on the frame will start rusting quickly & all in all starts looking like hell, wearing quicker, & being more difficult to work on as a result of stuff being seized up.

I can tell ya when buying a toy/hobby car in particular like that Porsche you have….I for one would absolutely get on the ground get a good look underneath @ the diff(s) exhaust hangers suspension bits brakes spindles etc see how everything looks, and I’d immediately be able to tell you DD that Porsche in that kinda weather. All else being equal against same P car that’s been only warm weather driven/garaged, I wouldn’t even bother giving a low ball offer & would gladly pay 10-20% higher for the cleaner example.

That’s just a fact- not a knock on you or your vehicles, that being said- a) vehicles are meant to be driven, especially awesome ones like Porsche 911 & Raptor, & b) you can take preventive measures ahead of time to ward off a lot of the damage winter weather/salt air/water can do to a vehicle.