Driving in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

thrashx

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips! I appreciate it.. We made it into Crested Butte last night and the weather here is nice. It's cold this morning but no snow fall is expected today. 4A worked well and the only issue I had was parking. Our AirBNB has a small garage and the Raptor won't fit but it could reverse into the tight drive way. The space is very tight, snow covered and I just couldn't make it work. Admittedly I'm not the best at reversing into tight parking spots and the tires kept digging in while adjusting angles so I gave up. BTW, driving through the mountains (Monarch) was a little scary late evening but the Raptor handled it well!

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do recommend taking it out of 4A if you don’t need it. No reason to keep the hubs engaged if you don’t need it.

BlueWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Raptor Aassault back in November. I asked instructor about driving mode and snow/ ice. He told me just turn the dial left ( Left For asphalt and road stuff, and dial right for off-roading ) . Snow mode / 4A. Let the truck do its things. Of course all comments about slowing down and smooth throttle goes without say. As for tire pressure they run 32 front and 28 rear for the class. Just FYI passing on info I got. And yes it was a BLAST.

Attachments

• D602154A-6E55-43BB-AC9F-20EBE6C4DD94.jpeg
    D602154A-6E55-43BB-AC9F-20EBE6C4DD94.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 40C3BA26-3C60-478E-BCF0-75DE40F1EB03.jpeg
    40C3BA26-3C60-478E-BCF0-75DE40F1EB03.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 7

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually snow tire technology WANTS the snow to stick in the lugs because snow on snow traction is best. I wouldn’t worry too much I ran my Ko2 at 38 psi on my street with 18” on snow and slush last year and it did fine. Of course give yourself time to stop especially on hills. My neighbors with regular f-150s with duratracs were getting stuck and I just plowed through.
Correct, it creates a “suction cup” effect, I run the 35” Nokian snows on my ‘20 during the winter months, in addition to being superior in snow (vastly superior on ice) than the KO2s or really ANY at/mt tire, they also provide more grip in extreme cold temps even when the roads are dry- the rubber compound in snow tires is designed to stay much more supple in cold temps vs an AT or MT that turns hard as a rock in the cold.

The flip side of that characteristic is that you’ll chew through em REAL quick in warm temps, so gotta make sure to swap em out once the temps get back into the mid 40s

Josh84

Reaction score
When driving in deep snow last weekend I was complaining to my brother that I didn't really like any of the other drive modes because they were either needlessly aggressive or way too passive (slippery mode) he said a friend would just use tow/haul mode in his normal truck. I actually liked it a lot and was a good balance, but just in deep snow. And when things were really wild yes Baja mode fits really well.