Driving in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thrashx

Reaction score
I'm headed up to Crested Butte this weekend and it will be the first time my 18 Raptor has seen snow. It's primarily a pavement queen in TX so any tips appreciated? What's the best drive mode and what tire pressure do you run for snow conditions? The Raptor is cruising on K02 tires

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm headed up to Crested Butte this weekend and it will be the first time my 18 Raptor has seen snow. It's primarily a pavement queen in TX so any tips appreciated? What's the best drive mode and what tire pressure do you run for snow conditions? The Raptor is cruising on K02 tires
Having transplanted years ago from New Orleans to the great north, a couple of things I would suggest.

The truck will do great in any all/4 WD mode. While the tires are great for mud/dirt/offroad, it is different in snow...The big lug tires are NOT great. Snow tires have siping technology - Usually slits that generate heat and melt off some of the snow and do not get plugged up like these big lug tires do. Also, we forget, there is almost NO weight in the rear..

So my tips:
  • Weight in back if you can
  • DO NOT roll up to any stop and think when you hit the brakes it won't slide...because it will.
  • Accelerate slowly and ease slowly to a stop.
  • DO NOT think these tires that are great for off-roading are also good in snow (and NOTHING helps in ice - except to stay home until it melts).
  • Running the tires a little lower on pressure will make them heat up a bit and help melt the snow stuck in the lugs.
  • Also...most areas that have snow, salt the roads for safety...when you get home rinse it off very well to avoid future rust!
These are just tips...Not to scare you...just to be careful. Take it easy at first until you get a feel for how cars DO in fact slide around a bit on the snow....And practice a stop or two BEFORE a car is in front of you :)

Take care , and enjoy!
DC

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above is great advice, in addition to that, increase follow time between you and traffic. You may know how to drive in the snow once you get some practice, but you must assume the people around you do not (spoiler they often don't) so give yourself time and space to escape if needed, and get out of the way of a car following you too close when they realize they can't stop and slide into your rear end.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having transplanted years ago from New Orleans to the great north, a couple of things I would suggest.

The truck will do great in any all/4 WD mode. While the tires are great for mud/dirt/offroad, it is different in snow...The big lug tires are NOT great. Snow tires have siping technology - Usually slits that generate heat and melt off some of the snow and do not get plugged up like these big lug tires do. Also, we forget, there is almost NO weight in the rear..

So my tips:
  • Weight in back if you can
  • DO NOT roll up to any stop and think when you hit the brakes it won't slide...because it will.
  • Accelerate slowly and ease slowly to a stop.
  • DO NOT think these tires that are great for off-roading are also good in snow (and NOTHING helps in ice - except to stay home until it melts).
  • Running the tires a little lower on pressure will make them heat up a bit and help melt the snow stuck in the lugs.
  • Also...most areas that have snow, salt the roads for safety...when you get home rinse it off very well to avoid future rust!
These are just tips...Not to scare you...just to be careful. Take it easy at first until you get a feel for how cars DO in fact slide around a bit on the snow....And practice a stop or two BEFORE a car is in front of you :)

Take care , and enjoy!
DC
Actually snow tire technology WANTS the snow to stick in the lugs because snow on snow traction is best. I wouldn’t worry too much I ran my Ko2 at 38 psi on my street with 18” on snow and slush last year and it did fine. Of course give yourself time to stop especially on hills. My neighbors with regular f-150s with duratracs were getting stuck and I just plowed through.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am heading out to CB after the new years. You should have fun!

Have you ever driven in snow before? If you have, then drive the same as you would have in the past. If you have not, just realize that the snow will double everything (Stopping, starting, turning with speed). The Raptor is not a magical truck, it is just like any other car/truck and has to deal with the laws of physics on AT tires. The Raptor does have Snow mode which can help but will not make the truck a snowmobile. Just drive with caution and you will be fine.

While driving, if you are uncomfortable, slow down. Speed is what gets most people into trouble because they do not understand that speed intensifies everything. To many times I see the Big 4x4 trucks ripping on AT tires and they end up in the ditch.

If the of Starbuck drinking, texting, facetiming minivan drivers in snow climate areas survive driving you can to. :p

WHBD

Reaction score
Actually snow tire technology WANTS the snow to stick in the lugs because snow on snow traction is best. I wouldn’t worry too much I ran my Ko2 at 38 psi on my street with 18” on snow and slush last year and it did fine. Of course give yourself time to stop especially on hills. My neighbors with regular f-150s with duratracs were getting stuck and I just plowed through.
I very much feel that the deeper snow is much more forgiving than, say, 4-8".

Great advice here. While I have found that I can sort of drive on 'autopilot' in most conditions, even traffic, I do Not allow myself this luxury in snow/ice/wet leaves.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your neighbors must suck at driving because Duratracs are better in snow than KO2s.

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everyone has great advice here. I would add that the most dangerous thing is: “OVER CONFIDENCE “. Our Raptors are confidence inducing machines because of they’re abilities. 4A works awesome and 4H incredible. However, no skill or options will help on ICE or SPEED. I live in the Twin Cities MN and have handled the snow and ice far better than expected. But I’ve had trucks with the 4x4 emblazoned on the body to show everyone and pass me as though I’m in a covered wagon or something only to see them in the ditch on they’re side a mile down the road. Just drive normal and cautious these raptors will keep safe and unstuck. And you can smile as you drive by they guy in the ditch.