Driving in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The "drive modes", adjust the front / rear bias of the brakes. Not the ABS (sensativity).

Can this be true? When I'm in mud/sand I can stand on the brakes and lock all four wheels. It works great on washboard where the ABS fails miserably.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Interesting. Wonder if this is a calibration the dealer can update or if it is what it is. I use the same modes as you for the same conditions.
Or maybe your KO2s are getting near half tread? They are good tires when new but start losing their grippyness with wear. That may result in needing more brake to stop in snow? I sold mine off my 2017 when they got down to half tread at 18K miles. I only have 10,500 miles on the KO2s on my 2020 and they are still fine. But I'm already working on a short list of tires for when I'm ready to replace the KO2s.

Josh84

Reaction score
Are you talking about stability control? Because that will stop you from doing stupid stuff most of the time. But if you want to mess around and throw the tail around you typically need stability control off. Saying you have an ABS issue is if you are having trouble stopping.

I love the stability control on this thing in snow, if you are on the throttle it will let you do exactly what you want. But when you let off the truck is going to know it is moving in an unsafe manner and try to straighten you out. The best test of this system is going down a snowy street and turning the wheel abruptly for a 90 degree turn (without applying the brakes) that would typically make the front end push through the corner. With stability control on the truck will apply the brakes to the appropriate wheels and drive right around the corner without touching the brakes. Just don't go too fast at first.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To clarify, I have no complaints with the ABS. I just like to know the limits of my vehicles. Only time ABS has kicked in for me I may or may not have been driving late at night on private roads like a hooligan. The ABS on my Evo on the other hand, is very over reactive when driving with the stock 8" wide rims. People would pull the ABS fuse when driving in snow in that car. They even had a sticker on the drivers door to not drive the car with stock tires in the winter.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can this be true? When I'm in mud/sand I can stand on the brakes and lock all four wheels. It works great on washboard where the ABS fails miserably.

again....ABS has no "calibration"...... ABS modulates the pressure in the brake line to the pads when the wheel sensor senses a wheel has stopped. It is an on or off situation. If the truck has forward motion, but a wheel or wheels are "locked up" ABS modulates the brakes. ABS has no reason to come on when the wheel is still rolling. So a there is no calibration. it is on or off...there is no in between

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
again....ABS has no "calibration"...... ABS modulates the pressure in the brake line to the pads when the wheel sensor senses a wheel has stopped. It is an on or off situation. If the truck has forward motion, but a wheel or wheels are "locked up" ABS modulates the brakes. ABS has no reason to come on when the wheel is still rolling. So a there is no calibration. it is on or off...there is no in between

I believe the Deep Snow/Sand mode (and maybe Baja+Rock Crawl) does dial back the ABS intervention threshold and disables the system at *very* slow speeds. The slow-speed-disable bit is about building up sand/mud/snow in front of the tire which adds to the retarding force. I think it's like 5mph or so. Just try driving down a snowy hill or on ice, stab the brakes, and it'll go to full lockup a bit sooner. I've only tried this with the rear diff locked, so maybe that's also a factor.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15098893/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-first-drive-review/

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defensive driving helps out too. Ever since I worked with AT&T and went through that class I do drive a lot differently in the snow and ice. But I also do know how to handle myself in those conditions.

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Baja mode, the inside rear brake is applied to help rotate the truck. Since their already doing that it wouldn't be a stretch to change the sample rate and line pressure of the ABS in different driving modes.