Driving in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love how two people complain about poor braking in snow (probably on ice as well) and all the sudden the ABS is a 100% faulty system. I drive in snow a lot, from a few skiffs to 24" with lots of ice and have never had a single problem with the ABS on my K02's, at all kinds of variable speeds and surfaces.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love how two people complain about poor braking in snow (probably on ice as well) and all the sudden the ABS is a 100% faulty system. I drive in snow a lot, from a few skiffs to 24" with lots of ice and have never had a single problem with the ABS on my K02's, at all kinds of variable speeds and surfaces.

I'm not sure anyone is claiming the ABS is faulty. I'm saying it's hyperactive and that leads to a negative result when braking firmly on snow (not ice). The type of snow plays a big part here. A layer of packed snow on the road has naturally decent grip. Powdery snow is much more slippery and my truck's ABS comes on way too much. Again, I know the ABS is leading to a negative result because Mud and Sand mode dials it way back and braking is improved.

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s your issue. M&S doesn’t mean much, it’s just an all-season tire. The severe snow service rating makes a huge difference, especially in braking. I have General Grabber AT2’s on my Grand Cherokee (not severe snow rated) and the difference between that and the Raptor in the BFG’s is night and day.
Good to know, lucky for me it's the tail end of winter lol. If I stay up here in Idaho I'll probably get a set of studded tires for next winter and keep my current tires for Spring through Fall

OP
OP
F

Fordraptorrrrrrrr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just wasn't knowledgeable about the tires like I thought I was lol.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure anyone is claiming the ABS is faulty. I'm saying it's hyperactive and that leads to a negative result when braking firmly on snow (not ice). The type of snow plays a big part here. A layer of packed snow on the road has naturally decent grip. Powdery snow is much more slippery and my truck's ABS comes on way too much. Again, I know the ABS is leading to a negative result because Mud and Sand mode dials it way back and braking is improved.
hyperactive implies a fault in my mind, I've never interpreted "hyperactive" as a good thing. And yes it 100% comes down to driving conditions and user input. Guess I'm fortunate to not have experienced the issue that you have. Not doubting it exists, just trying to narrow it down to driving style or conditions as it doesn't seem to be a prevalent issue from what I've read so far.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I just wasn't knowledgeable about the tires like I thought I was lol.
I'm not the least bit knowledgeable about tires, I'm simply giving anecdotal experience with my truck in the stock configuration (K02's). Everyone on this site drives differently and in variable conditions, his problems may very well be something that needs to be addressed. It just doesn't seem to be something inherently wrong with the ABS sensitivity or complaints would be more widespread IMO.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyperactive implies a fault in my mind, I've never interpreted "hyperactive" as a good thing. And yes it 100% comes down to driving conditions and user input. Guess I'm fortunate to not have experienced the issue that you have. Not doubting it exists, just trying to narrow it down to driving style or conditions as it doesn't seem to be a prevalent issue from what I've read so far.

I'm sure driving style is a factor. I drive... assertively... and I'm not a nervous driver in snow so marginal loss of control is expected from time to time. Hard to say if this is special to my truck and a few others or if I'm just braking harder from faster than most, so I'm experiencing it more. All I can say is that I wish there was an ABS button next to the traction control button with a Lite mode and fully off, just like TC. I realize that would never exist for safety reasons but boy would my truck be better behaved with ABS dialed back.

I also just realized you're in NV. My guess would be that only people accustomed to snow driving would notice this. Areas that only occasionally get snow would not only make the experience less common, but most people who don't regularly drive in snow drive much slower in it than we do up here.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if a bunch of you drive 5mph in the snow but the Raptor is TERRIBLE at stopping in snow and it's specifically because of the ABS as Ryan said. It's extremely overactive and actually makes stopping distances significantly longer than just locking up. I know because in Mud and Sand mode (in my 2018) the ABS is dialed way back and the truck stops much better. An ABS disable function would be great in the snow. The truck drives fine in Normal 4A in snow but it can't stop for its life.
Maybe you're a little aggressive on the brakes or your ABS is overly sensitive for some reason? I've been driving in Maine winters for 40 years and my 2017 and 2020 Raptors are better in snow than any of my previous 4x4's. I just drive in normal mode with 4A when the snow is patchy or 4hi when the roads are completely snow covered. The ABS in my Raptors has never felt too sensitive and I'm familiar with sensitive ABS. My 92 Bronco only has RWABS.

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you're a little aggressive on the brakes or your ABS is overly sensitive for some reason? I've been driving in Maine winters for 40 years and my 2017 and 2020 Raptors are better in snow than any of my previous 4x4's. I just drive in normal mode with 4A when the snow is patchy or 4hi when the roads are completely snow covered. The ABS in my Raptors has never felt too sensitive and I'm familiar with sensitive ABS. My 92 Bronco only has RWABS.

Interesting. Wonder if this is a calibration the dealer can update or if it is what it is. I use the same modes as you for the same conditions.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
for the record......ABS has no "calibration"...... ABS modulates the pressure in the brake line to the pads when the wheel sensor senses a wheel has stopped. It is an on or off situation.

The "drive modes", adjust the front / rear bias of the brakes. Not the ABS (sensativity).

it is possible, the bias my be off adjustment and your front brakes are getting too much pressure, thus causing wheel lock....thus causing ABS ti pulse the brakes.

But it is also possible you are just hitting the pedal too hard.

Or, your tires are not up to the conditions you are driving in.