Driveshaft yoke lubrication issue fixed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score

HoustonRider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slip Yoke Nickel Coating?

I remember a few years back GM had an issue with the clunk (they used the same name for it actually) and I don't know if it was a SSM or option, but the fix was replacing the original slip yoke with a nickel coated one from GM. The part numbers are still out there.

After a few pages of Google searches, I found that there are some older Ford trucks with a nickel coated slip yoke from Ford (2004 ish).

Since then, have all the Ford trucks be fitted with a nickel coated yoke?

Is there any way to know what the Raptor slip yoke is coated with (if anything)?

Anyone have a Ford PN for the current slip yoke on the 2011 Raptor?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they are already nickel coated on our trucks. jd, pirate or soco would know for sure...where are they :)

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they used a nickel coating they don't always give out the what materials are used to make some of the products. Motorcraft anti-sieze has nickel coating in it though. I really think with flex of suspension they will make the slip yoke slightly longer so it will prevent the binding.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Nickel is an extemely hard substance. It is used as a wear prevenitive. The lubricating capacity of nickel is not good though. Ideally they should be using a teflon impregnated nickel. Best of both worlds. It gives the surface hardness to prevent wear and the lubrication of teflon.