Driveshaft yoke lubrication issue fixed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has the driveshaft yolk lubrication problem that has plagued previous F150's been resolved?

This problem causes a very hard to track down, very subtle noise that can be difficult to reproduce at a dealer site.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The yolk lubing eliminates a chattering feeling when taking off. There's no noise related to the chattering.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The yolk lubing eliminates a chattering feeling when taking off. There's no noise related to the chattering.

?

Not to be a......well, ok I am being a smartass but isn't chattering sound related? :) :)

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chatter

I'm getting a whub whub (very low volume subtle sound and mid frequency in terms of sound) from a dead stop with low acceleration. I can hear it plain as day when driving up my driveway incline and when I am taking off from a stop.

The sound is purely random but it ALWAYS comes in twos - meaning I hear the sound clearly and distinctly TWICE and then it's gone when moving from a full stop.

In my limited research (and I could definitely be wrong) it points to the lubrication of the slip yolk. I wish I could fix this myself or figure it out (yes, i know truck is under warranty) but it would be great to identify this to help other members who may have this problem in the future.

It does not happen at speed, we are talking from 0 to 5MPH I hear it. There are no vibrations in the cab at speed or during when the noise is noticed.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
huh.jpg

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
?

Not to be a......well, ok I am being a smartass but isn't chattering sound related? :) :)

Not really, you feel the chattering in the seat. Kinda like driving over a grooved pavement.

Your friendly Ford dealer has a noise detection tool that has wireless clamp on mics to pinpoint the source of the noise.

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not really, you feel the chattering in the seat. Kinda like driving over a grooved pavement.

Your friendly Ford dealer has a noise detection tool that has wireless clamp on mics to pinpoint the source of the noise.

Ok thanks for the info and the reply. That's very cool about the noise detection tool.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have used shuddering instaed of chattering to avoid any confusion.

Lubing the slip yolk really only applies to the two piece drive shafts. You lube the splined joint between the two pieces.
The Raptor has a one piece drive shaft. So it's a moot point.