Driver side heated seat not working Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Looks like this is becoming as much a Gen 2 problem as it was for Gen 1
Maybe, I already posted in the thread though, so not a "new" customer. It would be great if we can find a common failure mode so I can point the dealer in a direction, and not have them tell me it's working because the lights are working and the scanner says it's working, again.

I should have checked it myself before leaving the dealer, but I was in a hurry.

dreuter

Reaction score
Any updates on this? Mine also stopped working on the drivers side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heating elements are a piece of wire running back and forth across the foam pad. They are wired in series, so if one goes bad, they both stop working. The dash lights continue to work, as does the other side. The fix is to replace the heating element. It’s two layers of material with the wire and sensor running through it. If you take it to a dealer, they are supposed to replace the element and the foam. That’s great if under warranty, the element was $12 last time I had to buy one, the foam was over $300. This time, new truck, it was covered under warranty. The job should only take a couple hours.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The heating elements are a piece of wire running back and forth across the foam pad. They are wired in series, so if one goes bad, they both stop working. The dash lights continue to work, as does the other side. The fix is to replace the heating element. It’s two layers of material with the wire and sensor running through it. If you take it to a dealer, they are supposed to replace the element and the foam. That’s great if under warranty, the element was $12 last time I had to buy one, the foam was over $300. This time, new truck, it was covered under warranty. The job should only take a couple hours.
Any way you can post up the part numbers, or the work order? I would like to send it to the service writer so they can make sure they have the parts. Much appreciated.

JustBillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My heating element in the seat had to be replaced around thirty-something thousand miles. My truck is a 2018 SCAB, and it has been in the shop all week for the cam phaser issue. I also had a problem with the AC door actuators due to a plastic servo gear failure within the first six months of ownership.

I'm still loving my truck, and wouldn't trade it for anything right now!

07_S3VA

Reaction score
My driver’s side heater went out a few months ago. Didn’t have time to get it over to the dealer. After a number of weeks it started working again. Now it is much warmer than it ever was originally. No idea what caused the seat warmer to crap out or why it started working again. Now it will cook you.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on both trucks, the seats got really hot just before they failed. Be careful, I have seen the elements melt the foam and burn through the leather seat covers.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, they told me both seat elements would be replaced, they only did the bottom. Part number JL3Z 14D696 B

Looks like they did not replace the foam either. If I had known they weren’t going to do that, I would have replaced the element myself.