Driver door switch rattle FIX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver door switch rattle was driving me crazy. You can literally shake the switch inside the housing trim. So, I grabbed some expanding foam from an old pistol case, cut it into slivers of varying sizes for testing, and used a small flat blade to jam it down into these gaps (both sides), and voila… switch is tight inside the trim.

Hope this helps someone else
B15ECCA5-189C-4A59-9D89-060AB770CE19.jpeg

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the rattle can be the speaker grill....and speaker wires if you installed after market. The switch rattle is annoying , my F150 did it...fixed it and headache was gone lol

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaker grill cleaning/repainting is also on my to-do list
So for my grills I only put some Adam's interior cleaner on a rag...rubbed them and **** mine were great. I wish I had pulled them out when I put my new speakers in but they truly weren't that bad. The original owner wasn't hard on this truck. It was a one owner until I bought it.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for my grills I only put some Adam's interior cleaner on a rag...rubbed them and **** mine were great. I wish I had pulled them out when I put my new speakers in but they truly weren't that bad. The original owner wasn't hard on this truck. It was a one owner until I bought it.

Mine looks exactly how you would expect a truck that has 143k would look. It wasn’t mudded or abused, the story I got is one of the previous owners traveled for work, so it’s a lot of highway miles.

Honestly, she looks better than I would have expected. It’s not the cleanest and pristine, but the price is what I wanted for a light restoration project ‍

Last edited:

John Harrington

Reaction score
I disassembled that switch as far as I could. Several rattle issues were found incluing the small plastic clear light pipes, for lack of a better term. The little plastic parts that channel light up to the buttons. Those are also loose in there so I pinned them down with some CA Glue and reassembled placing tessa tape everwhere plastic touched plastic. Even did a little sound damping work on the door lock buttons.

OP
OP
jackjare9455

jackjare9455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disassembled that switch as far as I could. Several rattle issues were found incluing the small plastic clear light pipes, for lack of a better term. The little plastic parts that channel light up to the buttons. Those are also loose in there so I pinned them down with some CA Glue and reassembled placing tessa tape everwhere plastic touched plastic. Even did a little sound damping work on the door lock buttons.

I was prepared to do that, but once I put that expanding foam in there, I could shake it, tap it, move it all around, and it didn't make a sound. So far, it's been whisper quiet in the truck. The only noise I notice is when my left knee rides in that area and pushes the door panel a bit, but that's on me to adjust myself LOL.
I also took the overhead console down and did the same thing. I fully disassembled it, and shoved foam up into that sunroof switch, all up inside the housing, and put it back together with foam pieces between the plastic. Once again, not a sound out of it. I am a full on believer in the foam.