Drive Modes / Exhaust Modes Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cotaco

Reaction score
Does Baja exhaust impact the gas mileage? I wouldn’t presume so - figured it would only be the driving modes that impact mpg
Willing to let someone correct me, but wouldnt Baja result in less engine back pressure since less exhaust is forced through the muffler? leading to better MPG?

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Willing to let someone correct me, but wouldnt Baja result in less engine back pressure since less exhaust is forced through the muffler? leading to better MPG?
Theoretically, yes... not sure you would see a noticeable difference in my opinion. Time will tell if someone is willing to do the tracking.

sammy134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michigan, can't really have my windows down to really hear the exhaust.

Windows up, every sound mode drones in the cabin except for quiet. That's probably because of the fake engine noise in normal, sport and baja.

Baja drive mode with baja exhaust actually sounds good even with windows up. Because it revs so high and barely downshifts, it operates in the range of no drone - so i don't mind that.

My trucks been in sport drive mode for 90% time with quiet exhaust.

I got my truck late summer, so I couldn't really enjoy it with windows down situation, to really hear it. Waiting for summer to have it in baja mode exhaust more often with windows down.

jazroc56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change exhaust modes quite frequently actually. I usually default to Baja mode straight out the gate, and adjust according to situational needs. For example, if I’m talking on the phone I have to go into quiet mode. On the highway I definitely use quiet or normal exhaust because of the drone of Baja gets a little annoying. But around town I love Baja because it gives you that visceral feeling and can **** off some crappy drivers when needed. as for mpg, I averaged 12.5 mpg on my first tank of gas… Presumably 87 from the dealership. I put 93 in last night so we’ll see where we go from here.

hpschrank

Reaction score
Sport Steering/handling and Baja exhaust! If ever your in a tunnel or passing under multiple overpasses....roll the window down and hit the gas....sounds like a Formula 1 car! Milage 14/15 around city.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Less restriction after the turbos, yes. But that’s kind of like saying that the river runs free after the dam…. Unless the exhaust is crazy restrictive I don’t that it will have much effect.

belacyrf

Reaction score
Less restriction after the turbos, yes. But that’s kind of like saying that the river runs free after the dam…. Unless the exhaust is crazy restrictive I don’t that it will have much effect.
Exactly.. turbos' provide all the back-pressure in an exhaust path. Anything done after the turbo's is inconsequential (unless, as stated above, the exhaust is unnecessarily restrictive.)

Also, just to add, the reduction of back-pressure (in NA setups) can help or hurt depending on the cylinder scavenging characteristics. It could hurt fuel mileage if there is excess overlap and excess scavenging. So a lot goes into it.

Cotaco

Reaction score
Exactly.. turbos' provide all the back-pressure in an exhaust path. Anything done after the turbo's is inconsequential (unless, as stated above, the exhaust is unnecessarily restrictive.)

Also, just to add, the reduction of back-pressure (in NA setups) can help or hurt depending on the cylinder scavenging characteristics. It could hurt fuel mileage if there is excess overlap and excess scavenging. So a lot goes into it.
Very good points^
I'm still thinking in terms of my NA Tacoma.

G3Rap

Reaction score
Michigan, can't really have my windows down to really hear the exhaust.

Windows up, every sound mode drones in the cabin except for quiet. That's probably because of the fake engine noise in normal, sport and baja.

Baja drive mode with baja exhaust actually sounds good even with windows up. Because it revs so high and barely downshifts, it operates in the range of no drone - so i don't mind that.

My trucks been in sport drive mode for 90% time with quiet exhaust.

I got my truck late summer, so I couldn't really enjoy it with windows down situation, to really hear it. Waiting for summer to have it in baja mode exhaust more often with windows down.
I’m also in Michigan. SE Michigan area to be a little more exact.

I’m alsI a first time Raptor owner (Gen 3). What are the biggest differences between all the modes? Specifically the suspension modes?

Is Sport stiffer than Normal and Baja the stiffest? It’s already super comfortable in Normal but I’m wondering if I’m missing something else.