Dredded Front Suspension Clunk

Discussion in 'Krazy House Customs' started by khcdave, Aug 28, 2012.

1. khcdave

khcdave Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Annoying rattle in front end?
    To all that have been plagued with the dredded clunk. Here is a remedy we have found to help with this issue.

We have worked on lots of raptors doing perch mods ect. We have found that the lower shock bolt must be tightened from the nut side only. This is due to the aluminum galling and holding the head of the bolt. Antiseize does help but ford designed the nut with a special built in washer allowing the nut to be tightened and spin at the same time while the washer is up against the aluminum We push Antiseize into the built in washer before we reinstall it and then tighten to 425 lbs which is a little over spec. Tightening this much will squeeze the control arm enough to squeeze the lower shock mount like it should be. This process has eliminated virtually all the clunking cause by the shock. Take a look at how stout the control arm is in the shock mounting area, this is why it is so hard to squeeze the mount enough to tighten the lower shock bushing causing it to move in the mount. Ever truck I have taken apart the lower bolt wasn't tightened even close to spec.

We have also found that pinion style shims can be slid in to tighten things up.

The dealers don't have a clue on this. They dont even know the bolt should be tightened from the nut side nor do they have a torque wrench that goes that high. If you have access to a good impact gun pull the nut off the back, get some Antiseize in there including the threads and tighten it as much as it will go. Hold the front of the bolt with a breaker bar and socket. This can be done with the truck sitting on the ground. Hope this helps. Dave

2. beemerman

beemerman FRF Addict

Good to know. Don't know anyone with a 450 ft. Lb. torque wrench. I tightened mine with my snap on impact as tight as I could. I think it is rated about 400. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. NickPic83

NickPic83 FRF Addict

I had a slight clunk. At first it was so slight i thought it was just how the shocks sounded. then when KHC did my perch mod it was gone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wilson likes this.
  4. Yukon Joe

Yukon Joe FRF Addict

Interesting... when did you here the clunk? Going over a bump?

Joe

5. BIRDMAN

BIRDMAN Birdministrator Staff Member

i have the clunk, and i actually tried this method last week. i don't think i was able to get it tight enough because the clunk still exists.

6. KaiserM715

KaiserM715 Kaiser Söze Staff Member

I have it, too. I will have to give this a try.
    Can you give us some more details on the shims? Size, etc.

7. NickPic83

NickPic83 FRF Addict

Yup. Not the small ones but any decent sized bumps and bigger I would hear it. Seemed like it was on the passenger side. After perch mod its quiet

8. NickPic83

NickPic83 FRF Addict

Forgot to mention. Did it early on I got the perch done with around 1000 miles on it

9. GMNOMORE

GMNOMORE Member

I also tried the above procedure and used a torque multiplier and torqued the nut to an actual 425 ft-lbs, I did not see any improvement. I have 30,000 on my truck and I have had this rattle at new. I am going to remove and attempt to shim but I did not see where I could slip a shim into the space between the strut and lower control arm. Sure wish we could find a solution greatest truck I have ever owned but for the front suspension rattle or clunk but for others it sounds an feels like something is loose, thax.

10. imdubious

imdubious FRF Addict

you guys make it sound like you all got a STD @TRR!

Wilson likes this.