Dreaded starter bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lafuse

Reaction score
Repost from Wednesday..........................

My fellow Raptor'ers..... 2010 5.4.
While preparing to remove the passenger exhaust manifold for front exhaust flange bolt missing/broke, I proceeded to remove the starter. Bottom bolt Out, middle bolt Broke, Top Bolt.... 3 hours in & still cannot get an extension/universal/swivel on it. Even better I know its seized & will need heat.
I'm getting ready to disconnect the exhaust pipe & jack the motor up some (planning that anyway with the exhaust bolt extraction) to see if that gives me any room.
Any Videos or write ups do not show the raptors shock tower in the way.

Anyone else have this nightmare with the Ford engineering ?

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's a cab off/motor out situation. Pro demand only lists it as a 0.8hr labour time. Going through the remove and replace instructions no where does it tell me to pull the cab or engine
I did one on my 2012 6.2, lucky on a hoist. And it wasn't the most fun I have had but it's doable.

Checking prodemand for a 2010 5.4 starter r&r is 0.7hrs. And again doesn't mention engine or cab removal.

But from personal experience it does include swearing, bleeding, tool throwing and beer

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like this is one of those jobs to pay the flat rate and let the dealer take the loss.

Pyro3601

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@CoronaRaptor I mean yes but no is you have a friend/family member you can request and know without a doubt you can trust. Being flat rate guy, looking for a career change away from the auto repair world at a GM store in town I dunno if I would send anybody to a stealership. I'm very pro once it's off warranty do anything in your power not to darken the door of the place unless there's legit no other options.......

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@CoronaRaptor I mean yes but no is you have a friend/family member you can request and know without a doubt you can trust. Being flat rate guy, looking for a career change away from the auto repair world at a GM store in town I dunno if I would send anybody to a stealership. I'm very pro once it's off warranty do anything in your power not to darken the door of the place unless there's legit no other options.......
I agree, kind of like a last resort thing, when you're stuck, pray the odds are in your favor that the work gets done right if you have to out source it.