GEN 1 Dreaded starter bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lafuse

Reaction score
My fellow Raptor'ers..... 2010 5.4.
While preparing to remove the passenger exhaust manifold for front exhaust flange bolt missing/broke, I proceeded to remove the starter. Bottom bolt Out, middle bolt Broke, Top Bolt.... 3 hours in & still cannot get an extension/universal/swivel on it. Even better I know its seized & will need heat.
I'm getting ready to disconnect the exhaust pipe & jack the motor up some (planning that anyway with the exhaust bolt extraction) to see if that gives me any room.
Any Videos or write ups do not show the raptors shock tower in the way.

Anyone else have this nightmare with the Ford engineering ?

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have looked at this as well 2010 6.2 is no better uses same starter. Looks very painful to remove. i have SW headers also. I know dealer mechanics that replace starters leave this bolt out. On my lightning 5.4 it was missing for many years without a problem . I did put it back in when i switched headers and high torque starter .

video here is ok he manages to get top bolt removed but not a Raptor.

One person i read said he used long extensions and swivels.

Report back how you got it done.

Last edited:

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just switched my SW headers back to stock manifolds and almost did it myself in the driveway. I ended up taking it to a shop and they had this issue as well. I also had a motor mount bolt back out, gouge the starter, and cracked the mount. Made me so glad I didn't do it myself, but I feel for you.

OP
OP
L

Lafuse

Reaction score
Hey Guy's
Got the starter out. Apparently you have to jack the motor up a couple inches on the passenger side, Bottle Jack, piece of wood, jacking on the 2 motor mount screws with the nuts inverted. This gives you enough clearance between the frame & header to get the 13mm, universal, extension & ratchet on the bolt. Even heated the bolt head.
I separated the exhaust at the flange & of coarse it was a pain. One came out easy the other Mother was difficult. Rusted just spinning with no way to get a tool on the top. Torch would have been great if I had one. My small reciprocating Snapon saw with the blade flipped & about 20 minutes (2 Batteries) of careful cutting.... Now to the exhaust manifold & broken bolt.