Dreaded "Check 4x4" message...does this one sound like a shift motor or electronics?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
2011 crew cab, 47k on it, original owner. 4WD doesn't get used much, I use it somewhat in dirt, never in rain, and haven't had it in snow.

• GOOD: The 4x2 / 4x4HIGH / 4X4LOW icon in the cluster is ALWAYS ACCURATE.
  • GOOD: The front wheels are driven when in the 4WD modes, and not driven in the 2WD mode.
  • BAD: Shifting between 2HI and 4HI, truck shows "Check 4x4" message on cluster. Sometimes the shift is not completed. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it goes to 4LO. It can wind up in 4LO going from 4HI->2HI or 2HI->4HI. Basically putting it between 2HI and 4HI is Forrest Gump's box-o-chocolates...you never know what you're going to get.
  • GOOD: 4HI to 4LO and 4LO to 4HI shifts work as expected. If I turn the truck off in 4HI and restart it, the wrench icon goes away and doesn't come back until I go back to 2HI (I can go to 4LO and back with no wrench).

I've tried disconnecting and blowing off the shift motor electrical connector with an air compressor, no change. Have not tried dielectric grease.

Was thinking of just grabbing one of these and seeing if it cures it:
https://www.1aauto.com/transfer-case-shift-motor-dorman-600-928/i/dmfwm00005?f=914274&y=2011
(not 100% certain that is Raptor applicable...haven't a clue if all F150 transfer cases are the same).

Thanks much for any suggestions!

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The connector really only applies to water getting inside it and causing havoc. Your truck never gets wet except for weekly baths, so that isn't a concern for you.:ROFLJest:

It does sound like you are on the right track by replacing the shift motor. That is where I would start too. It is the most likely culprit, although there are a few other things that could be your problem, just not the first to check off the list.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is this the only message you have? If you also have an abs and hill decent fault its a wheel speed sensor. Otherwise it could also be your vacuum pump.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
Just had mine replaced . Course it didn't do it when they had it. Then i realized it only did it when it rained. Next day it poured drove through some puddles , tried it ,it had the error drove it straight to dealer and mechanics engine bay hooked it up it was the contacts inside the shift motor if you cycled the switch a few times it would engage.

tailstocker

Reaction score
I had the check 4x4 message as well on my 2012 Raptor. Mech at local dealer spent hours figuring this out.
Was on the hotline many times. Came down to a short, in the wiring. Circuit rcf09 - br - wh.
Codes
p-1849
p-1857
p-1861
Short took out the shift motor(cl3z7g360a) and the trans module(cl3z7e453de).
Short was on the firewall near the blower assy. A fastener there wore through the harness. Very strange place to have that much vibration or movement.
FIX- The wiring was soldered and wrapped in a protective tape, replaced the motor asy and module. Cost $970 over half was labor
Interesting thing, I could only get the message to come on when 4x4 was engaged and had wheel slippage. Whenever the truck was shut down and restarted it would go away. I never lost 4x4 function.
Of course it happened 2 weeks before the 17 came in.

Hope this helps

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I had the check 4x4 message as well on my 2012 Raptor. Mech at local dealer spent hours figuring this out.
Was on the hotline many times. Came down to a short, in the wiring. Circuit rcf09 - br - wh. Short took out the shift motor(cl3z7g360a) and the trans module(cl3z7e453de).
Short was on the firewall near the blower assy. A fastener there wore through the harness. Very strange place to have that much vibration or movement.
FIX- The wiring was soldered and wrapped in a protective tape, replaced the motor asy and module. Cost $970 over half was labor
Interesting thing, I could only get the message to come on when 4x4 was engaged and had wheel slippage. Whenever the truck was shut down and restarted it would go away. I never lost 4x4 function.
Of course it happened 2 weeks before the 17 came in.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

BigMikeVP

Reaction score
If you never lost 4wd function id say its electronic. Clear the code and see if it comes back?

If it fails to engage in the future, take your motor off and put a wrench on the actuator to put it in 4wd manually, if it goes fine id say its the motor. If its hard to turn by hand id say its a transfer case issue.

OP
OP
Droid

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Fixed it, just posting for reference to anyone who has a similar problem.

Bought this and installed it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHT5IOG/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Fairly easy job, one connector and a few bolts to remove/replace. There is a single pinout wire that has to be removed from the old item and inserted into the new one, but it's self explanatory when you see it.

Truck shifts between all three modes as it did new. Verified 4wd is working in the only remaining unpaved patch of dirt in Huntington Beach.

No diagnostic codes were ever shown by a consumer OBD2 scan tool. Brother's "MaxiDiag Elite" was able to see it. Showed a code of P186700-48, "Transfer Case Contact Plate General Circuit Failure".

Thanks again all!

GVW299

Reaction score
Thanks for this, exactly my problem. 2011 Supercrew. Ordered. P1867:00-48 code on Forscan.

85eurocarrera

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it, just posting for reference to anyone who has a similar problem.

Bought this and installed it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHT5IOG/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Fairly easy job, one connector and a few bolts to remove/replace. There is a single pinout wire that has to be removed from the old item and inserted into the new one, but it's self explanatory when you see it.

Truck shifts between all three modes as it did new. Verified 4wd is working in the only remaining unpaved patch of dirt in Huntington Beach.

No diagnostic codes were ever shown by a consumer OBD2 scan tool. Brother's "MaxiDiag Elite" was able to see it. Showed a code of P186700-48, "Transfer Case Contact Plate General Circuit Failure".

Thanks again all!
I’ll be ordering this part. Got the wrench and jump to 4 low when in 4 high. Luckily I was just putting along testing 4 wheel drive.