Dragging metal noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did order a new solenoid because they’re cheap just to see. I already replaced the check valve and hose. If the solenoid doesn’t change the situation I’ll have to take it into the shop.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have guessed IWE's too. Either solenoid or check valve or bad IWE. Slowing down would be low engine vacuum and that fits, but i would have expected it to go away with 4wd engaged. Hard to say...

Bumpngrind

Reaction score
Just got mine back also 2017, hubs were chewed up, brake pedal never vibrated but rotors were scored. Replaced rotors and pads, warranty picked up tab on hubs, noise gone. Running 37s so that extra roll does wear things out fast, just saying, happy warranty dealt with majority, not brakes though, i ordered rotors, pads etc, had dealer install them, warranty is only good if i have dealer do service where i purchased, go figure, Kia dealer has given wayyyy better service than a ford dealer, shocker!

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 35 inch Toyo RTs. They’re heavy. It’s leveled. The truck makes a lot
More power than out of the factory... it’s all contributory I’m sure. My money is m the hubs and I’m pretty certain the dealer isn’t going to cover squat.

but I’m not really concerned about the cost of repairs. I just want someone to stop the annoying noise. :)

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dropped it off tonight. Let’s see what the culprit ends up being.

tooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a 18, now have a 19. Long story, but my 18 had that issue. Replaced the valve thing, went back to factory tune, tried some of the other stuff mentioned in the thread, but never got the noise to go away. My 19 doesn't make the noise.... yet. ;)

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is why I dropped it off at the dealer. I do a lot of my own work, I also have a trusted shop that I use for 99 percent of everything else, especially performance bolt ones...

but I went with some logical assumptions... and my assumption is that a dedicated Ford Service Department will be the most likely to have had multiple other trucks with a similar issue and will have a diagnostic algorithm to fix it.

My regular shop would have to just start pulling things apart to try to figure it out... and I’m not sure that’s the way to go... because while it’s an annoying noise... the truck drives like it’s brand new.... so I don’t think it’s anything more than hubs or something I’m missing.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got an alert from my FordPass that says antilock brake fault, precollision fault and hill descent fault.

Who wants to bet they’ve pulled the hubs apart?

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok...

So the verdict... I blew out the rear diff, axle bearings and seals, gears, etc.

31k miles...

The rear diff doesn’t seem to handle the extra torque from a tune and bolt ons very well. I ate ‘em up and I used good quality amsoil rear diff gear oil and all.

moral of the story is that the rear diff seems to be a weak link.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok...

So the verdict... I blew out the rear diff, axle bearings and seals, gears, etc.

31k miles...

The rear diff doesn’t seem to handle the extra torque from a tune and bolt ons very well. I ate ‘em up and I used good quality amsoil rear diff gear oil and all.

moral of the story is that the rear diff seems to be a weak link.

The rear axle is the Ford Corporate/Sterling 9.75"; in general it's a very strong axle. What exactly failed?