Downshift Clunk

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100% normal when slowing down quickly. The transmission downshifts so that in the event that you need to take off again quickly, it’s already in the right gear. It’s nothing to cringe over, it’s no different than downshifting as you slow down in a vehicle with a manual transmission. This strategy is preferable to just leaving it in a high gear as you slow down because there is no downshift delay if you encounter a situation in which you need to accelerate rapidly, such as when traffic slows down quickly and you need to change lanes and accelerate immediately to avoid getting rear ended by the oblivious drivers behind you.

I had my transmission replaced 2 months ago, due to slippage & shifting hard into d/r.

Just today it sounded like it slammed into a lower gear when stopping suddenly. It was a very noticeable loud clunk as if you were to throw it into reverse while rolling forward. It also makes the same clunk sound when I’m driving up a steep hill l. I would throttle heavily, let off when turning then throttling heavily again, that’s when I hear the bang/clunk sound. Is this normal ?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had my transmission replaced 2 months ago, due to slippage & shifting hard into d/r.

Just today it sounded like it slammed into a lower gear when stopping suddenly. It was a very noticeable loud clunk as if you were to throw it into reverse while rolling forward. It also makes the same clunk sound when I’m driving up a steep hill l. I would throttle heavily, let off when turning then throttling heavily again, that’s when I hear the bang/clunk sound. Is this normal ?
Not sure why the transmission was replaced instead of repaired for a hard shift. Slippage is rare.

If you’re on a steep hill and go from heavy throttle/letting off/heavy again you’re inducing a hard shift. The TCM does not read minds, it reacts only to user input.