Dove Tail Fender Exit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I thin it would exit about where you would want, after crawling under my truck again... threading the gap between the rear leaf hanger and the rear leaf itself at full droop would be the major challenge... but doable... with a single 3" SS pipe, could do it on both sides, true dual...

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I was routing 2 x 3" SS tube to exit stock exit point I had to over/under the pipes between the spare and leaf spring and then transition lower to allow them to exit side-by-side...
IMG_20211010_101512460_HDR.jpgIMG_20211001_201910733.jpg

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could take the path of the upper pipe, shoot the gap, and come at at the dove tail

Last edited:

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do think this looks pretty neat... having just fabbed 2 x SS 3" tailpipes from a pair of SW turbo mufflers to exit at the stock location, it would be challenging but possible, keeping it tight, with a single 3" pipe to thread the gap between the rear spring hanger and the spring itself (with Deavers, same problem, but a bit easier with factory leafs and factory lift block)... but with the dove tail half of the area you photoshopped is gone... since the owner is dovetailing the rear quarters, I assume he is moving the spare... it that case fabbing tailpipes gets much easier, trual dual or otherwise... I do think the challenge will still be navigating the rear spring hanger and the leaf spring itself in order to exit out under the dove tail... I think you will come out with the tailpipe sitting lower than you would want...
All the more reason to go with Lightning style exit.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the more reason to go with Lightning style exit.
Got it, but the fella asked about exiting at the dove tail, and it's doable with a single 3" pipe per side, even with deavers/icons, rear frame brace, and traction bars... Just take some fab work is all, and it will look cool...

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it, but the fella asked about exiting at the dove tail, and it's doable with a single 3" pipe per side, even with deavers/icons, rear frame brace, and traction bars... Just take some fab work is all, and it will look cool...
Yes. But the left side would then be significantly longer than the right side.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and it would not make a difference performance wise with a 379 cui motor with a 3" pipe connected to each side of the motor... nor could anyone see it if run properly... everything on the drivers side of the truck has a longer run, because it all has to run down the passenger's side between the driveshaft and the frame...

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and it would not make a difference performance wise with a 379 cui motor with a 3" pipe connected to each side of the motor... nor could anyone see it if run properly... everything on the drivers side of the truck has a longer run, because it all has to run down the passenger's side between the driveshaft and the frame...
Exactly, so the left side exit would be significantly longer as a result of the right side path of the original left side out of the exhaust manifold.