Door panel rattle fixed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
I have been getting some rattling from the driver's side door panel. Any sort of rattle or squeak drives me crazy, so I had to fix it. The first trick was to get the switch panel out of the door. I wedged a small screwdriver in between the rubberized cushioning around the arm rest and and the switch panel and pried up and it popped out.

This is what I saw:
switchpanel01.jpg

The rattle was coming from a loose fit between the switch module and the outer plastic sleeve of the panel.

My solution was to wedge some fabric into two pockets of the sleeve (refer to the red arrows below):
switchpanel02.jpg

That seems to have fixed it.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like it! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the info and the pics are quite helpful!

I thought you were going to tell us you found a rattle in there :mrgreen:

Kind of like that campfire story about the rapping noise coming from the haunted house and they went into it and finally found the source of the rapping noise. Wait for it...

PT02508-Baby-Rattle.jpg

It was wrapping paper! Ha Ha (I don't write the stories I just share them)

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
I have a sunroof rattle that is making me nuts?

The Brit

Reaction score
Kaiser, we seem to be working on the same things at the same time! I also just fixed a rattle in my drivers door. Mine was the painted trim panel. I removed the entire door panel and found the painted panel is not removable, its held in by melting protrusions on the back of the door panel. I found a couple of openings and pushed in some foam to provide a more positive fit of the trim to the door panel. So far so good...

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine's doing the same thing, but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the lock on the driver's side (not the switch, but the actual little lock mechanism). It does drive me mildly crazy, but I also don't want to tear apart a brand new truck. Think the dealer would do anything?

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine's doing the same thing, but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the lock on the driver's side (not the switch, but the actual little lock mechanism). It does drive me mildly crazy, but I also don't want to tear apart a brand new truck. Think the dealer would do anything?

Yes,they can fix it if your not comfortable doing it or dont have time.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Is it more of a ticking than a rattle?

STUTIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

EXACTLY what I am hearing. Driving me nuts!

Mjparsons

Reaction score
Kinda, yeah. I can't really recreate it by smacking it, or stop it by holding anything on the door either. I can't really affect it at all.

Same here!! 2012 Screw with the same sound. It only occurs when the drivers window is down at any height, doesn't matter if it's cracked or all the way down. It sounds like it's coming from the locking mechanism but I honestly can't tell. I've banged on the door trying to recreate it and I can't find it! It's driving me insane, I'm ready to have ford replace the entire panel.