Door Lock Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, My drivers side door lock wasn't working when trying to unlock the door using the key. So i pulled it apart and found the tab on the back side of the tumbler is broke so it won't pull the locking bar to unlock the door. I see that you can buy the tumbler fairly cheap but i'm curious how you get it to work with your own key? Seems like the tumbler should be matched to your key, or am i missing something?

Tumbler is the silver cylinder in the lower left corner. You can kind of see right side of the little tab in the center is broke.
IMG_6735.jpeg

close up of the broken piece
IMG_6737.jpeg
I'm guessing that tab should be symmetric.
IMG_6736.jpeg

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do i need to order?
im not sure of the parts. but the pins themselves are just different lengths. you take it apart, slide the key in and put the pins in. when the pin sits flush, you got the right pin. some are 5 some are 7 pins (per side, opposing sides on the cylinder) not sure about now days, its been years since i did this but the truck was really easy

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Ok. I’ll pull it off and take a look. Didn’t look like it was easy to open the cylinder

OP
OP
Jhollowell

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although i wonder if i can just buy a new one and swap the internals from mine. All i need is that part that sticks out the back