Door latch freezing fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP77

Reaction score
I’ve been reading the posts for two years and have seen all the DIY fixes, but no one has posted pictures of the dealership fix. I dropped my truck off a couple of weeks ago, and was given a loaner while the dealer fixed the A/C leak and the door lock issue. (Yes we have freezing in the morning and 80s in the afternoon.)
Two weeks later I pick it up because they realized the pets were back ordered after they took it apart?!
I notice someone got crazy with the cheese-wiz so I called the service rep and he said this is how Ford wants it fixed and that’s what his doors on his f150 look like. Is this normal?

100B092F-D5B6-4AE0-BA50-DB85B8942012.jpeg

B7F2A9D2-8FB0-4570-9828-4624A4AB8150.jpeg

Traffic22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope nope nope.

If you don’t have it, maybe @FordTechOne can supply the procedure.

When they did mine (didn’t even ask for it, was just done when I was there for other work) I could not even tell what they did. I just saw it on the service order. Looked at the doors, and couldn’t even see what they had done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Found this info online, but the file I saved was too big, so here’s the highlights.

Start by removing the grid-covered elbow vent beneath the exposed part of the door latch. Rotate the elbow vent 180 degrees so the elbow faces upward instead of down, and push it back into place. Be careful not to push on the grid, as it will crack. Remove and store two more plugs from the bottom of the front doors. Note that the rear doors only feature the horizontal plugs.
By removing the plugs at the bottom of each door, you’re increasing the amount of air flow through the door. According to members of the forum, reversing the elbow vent also changes the air flow and allows less water into the door.

Spray the latch assembly, I used Aerokroil. It’s hygrophobic, so it repels water, and spreads out over a few days to become a film on the metal pieces of the latch. This should keep water from freezing inside the mechanism and causing the issue. Attach the nozzle to the bottle, shake well, and insert the nozzle into the latch. Coat as much of it as you can, and at many angles, to ensure it coats as much of the mechanism as possible. A suggestion from a forum member on F150forum.com was to loosen the three torx bolts which hold the latch in place, in order to get the lubricant in better.”

Work the locks in order to speed up the process and ensure better coverage, I worked the locks several times. I’m not sure if anyone else did this, but I thought it would be a good idea. I used the key fob to lock and unlock the doors several times, and also worked the handles.”

Now, you should be all done!

It worked for my truck, 2017 Raptor. Issues was Driver’s front door.

OR

You can take it to your local Ford dealer and have them perform a TSB (technical service bulletin) 18N03 on the truck door handles... This includes taking each door apart, drying it out thoroughly, and applying sealant to the openings.