Door latch and lock nightmare :/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jepper

Reaction score
What specifically is failing?

On the door latches I'm not sure, its just not catching. If it does catch it only shuts half way. It's intermittent for sure, it can not latch 5 times in a row or semi latch and then finally latch. Or it'll latch first try for a few times in a row.

For the back it stays "locked" unless i pull up on the external lock and try to open the door handle a few times then it'll unlock.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
On the door latches I'm not sure, its just not catching. If it does catch it only shuts half way. It's intermittent for sure, it can not latch 5 times in a row or semi latch and then finally latch. Or it'll latch first try for a few times in a row.

For the back it stays "locked" unless i pull up on the external lock and try to open the door handle a few times then it'll unlock.

2017’s have a recall for exactly this reason. I have had the driver’s door be... reluctant only once, but never had the locks be an issue.

If the door latch is not latching, that is a pretty serious problem. Honestly, it sounds more like something isn’t lined up right rather than the internals but hey - let Ford sort this out.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bummer. Intermittent issues suck. Best of luck. Let us know what the fix is.

OP
OP
J

Jepper

Reaction score
I already had two of my door latches replaced and the passenger door immediately started having the same issue after the latch was replaced. Needless to say i had to ask the dealer if the tech even installed the right one.

Bradams

Reaction score
Starting to experience issues with the drivers side door. Seems the cold temperatures here in South Dakota are having an impact. Drove my 2017 Gen II all last year without any problems, now the first cold snap and the door won't close if it's been outside for a while. The dealership is going to look at it tomorrow, do we know if there an actual Safety Recall out on it now ??

Last edited:

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...l-for-2015-17-f-150-and-2017-super-duty-.html

This says it is for 2015-2017 F150’s. Both of our 2018’s are included in this and are scheduled to get it done next week. Our local service manager said it takes about 4 hours to get the job done. I have no idea what they are doing to the truck(s) but living in northern Minnesota exposes our trucks to some of the lowest temps in the U.S. so I’m getting it done. So far we have not had any problems with the doors, so I am hoping I’m not making a mistake by allowing them to rip into the doors. I guess only time will tell..

bwong6736

Reaction score
my dealer just picked my truck up from me because this is the 4th time my doors wont lock. they told me there getting ford involed because there is "another fix"