Door doesn't shut tightly, rattles around over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm really at a loss now how to adjust this door to keep it secured tightly against the cab without it rattling.

The thing rattles horribly, and I've deduced it is from the latch mechanism tapping lightly on the striker bar. It throws the noise though which made incredibly deceiving when trying to locate the source. Cracking the door open stops the rattling 100% though so it is for sure that. You can also hear the weather stripping rubbing/squeaking sometimes.

I've tried adjusting the top edge of the door into/toward the body (per some forum threads about rattling), which helped some but made it a chore to open and shut the door. That essentially used the flexion of the door to keep force on the latch. You have to slam it shut, and when opening it you can see it "pop" open from the spring force of the door. This is as hard to live with as the rattle is, imo.

I've also tried aligning it to replicate the (perfect) passenger side door as best I could. This position makes the door open and shut smoothly like it should, but it rattled horrendously.

Surely there must be some way to adjust these doors to have them behave like my passenger door does. Anyone else been here and/or found a way to fix it?

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to your dealer. There’s adjustments on the door hing’s as well. Your only changing the back edge of the door that’s why it’s so hard to close. You might need shims on the hing’s to keep it flat against the door opening to make it close properly. You need the body shop.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no better suggestion, curious though, is it a Scab or a Screw?

OP
OP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no better suggestion, curious though, is it a Scab or a Screw?
It's a Scab, but it's the front door so I would think it would be the same for both. (As well as every other 2017+ f150.)

I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time it came back worse. The second time was met with "it's a truck it's supposed to rattle."

Figured I'd try to fix it on my own rather than deal with that. They'd be shooting in the dark too most likely.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a Scab, but it's the front door so I would think it would be the same for both. (As well as every other 2017+ f150.)

I've taken it to the dealer twice. The first time it came back worse. The second time was met with "it's a truck it's supposed to rattle."

Figured I'd try to fix it on my own rather than deal with that. They'd be shooting in the dark too most likely.

My friend your dealer needs a verbal adjustment. Another example of why we stay clear of them except for warranty work and even then we’re afraid they will screw stuff up. Find yourself a good body shop and have them look at it and tell you what they think. Adjusting doors can be a tremendous pain for us unskilled guys but people who do it day in and day out work wonders sometimes. Just saying. Hope you can get it resolved. Our doors are not suppose to rattle! If the shop fixes it for you take the f-ing bill to the dealer and ask him to pay for it. Just saying!

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Time for a new dealer! Seriously, you might have to drive a little further, but I would definitely get a second opinion at another dealer. You can also request the dealer sends it to their body shop instead of a regular Tech. If that does not work, try the third party body shop suggestion, as they deal with door alignments on a regular basis.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I eventually had this problem on a door on my Gen 1. I couldn't get it right. As crappy as my dealer at the time was, they were able to adjust/fix it. They did however charge me for the time. It was worth the cost of my sanity though. Good luck.

Turbo95max

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like alot of SuperCabs suffer from door rattles. If it makes you feel better my 2013 SuperCab rattled and my 2019 SuperCab is beginning to rattle as well. I use electrical tape on it and the rattle is 98% gone. Its a small price to pay to have the better version Raptor, SuperCab over a SuperCrew. Haha.

Derail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like alot of SuperCabs suffer from door rattles. If it makes you feel better my 2013 SuperCab rattled and my 2019 SuperCab is beginning to rattle as well. I use electrical tape on it and the rattle is 98% gone. Its a small price to pay to have the better version Raptor, SuperCab over a SuperCrew. Haha.

:laughing1: