Don't tell the Gen. 1 guys I'm over here.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC119

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for Gen 2 numbers, the F150 EcoBoost forum has some of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to modding these updated 3.5s. Granted, the Raptor engine is a bit different, but these guys are getting some awesome numbers out of 17+ F150s, and doing it safely.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/e50-tune-results-2019-f150-3-5l.80212/

This particular dyno is from a tune only 2019 on E50.

E50Tune.jpg

crjdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking for Gen 2 numbers, the F150 EcoBoost forum has some of the most knowledgeable people around when it comes to modding these updated 3.5s. Granted, the Raptor engine is a bit different, but these guys are getting some awesome numbers out of 17+ F150s, and doing it safely.

https://www.f150ecoboost.net/threads/e50-tune-results-2019-f150-3-5l.80212/

This particular dyno is from a tune only 2019 on E50.

View attachment 138004

Nice! Those are some BIG numbers!!

I am attaching their dyno of a Gen 2 Raptor with additional mods on full E-85.

ZFG Raptor Tune.jpg

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair point. Both trucks have more power than suspension capability when stock. So, in real life, neither one of them needs any added power off road. Not everyone's truck is stock, though ;)

With respect to real world fuel economy, I believe the Gen 2 advantage (when stock) comes primarily from being 500 lbs lighter and having 4 more gears. Turbo motors burn a LOT of fuel when on boost.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score

He will never understand...

Which part did you guys disagree with? Does the Gen 2 not weigh 500 pounds less? Does it not have 4 more gears? Do both of these factors not contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to achieving better fuel mileage? Please advise.

Or do you disagree that forced induction engines are generally run richer to keep them safe from pre-ignition? This is fairly common knowledge, guys. My own Whipple truck is currently running fairly rich to protect the stock pistons.

https://turboworx.com/turbo-tech-air-fuel-ratio-tuning/

As a reminder, my first post in this thread indicated that the Gen 2 was the better truck overall if you were planning to keep it stock and didn't care to make a lot of power. :shrug:

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, I have a late model 18 (build date June 2018) and really dig this truck. Look for a later build 2018 as they have the metal oil pan, and pretty sure (someone correct me if not) the updated CAM Phasers. Also, the B&O sound systems is MUCH better than the Sony "Preimum" system before it. You should be able to find a decent 2018 for your budget. Be sure and have a dealer (or other contact) run an OASIS report on the VIN if you can, to see what (if any) warranty work has been done on that particular truck. Personally, I would not want to buy one that's been torn down by a dealer to replace the cam phasers...

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He comes to the Gen2 section to help us. :sunot:

Meanwhile, back here in reality, OP was debating the purchase of either a Gen 1 or Gen 2. Since I have experience with both, I shared my point of view. :shrug:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which part did you guys disagree with? Does the Gen 2 not weigh 500 pounds less? Does it not have 4 more gears? Do both of these factors not contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to achieving better fuel mileage? Please advise.

Or do you disagree that forced induction engines are generally run richer to keep them safe from pre-ignition? This is fairly common knowledge, guys. My own Whipple truck is currently running fairly rich to protect the stock pistons.

https://turboworx.com/turbo-tech-air-fuel-ratio-tuning/

As a reminder, my first post in this thread indicated that the Gen 2 was the better truck overall if you were planning to keep it stock and didn't care to make a lot of power. :shrug:

This was your first post in this thread:

LOL. Me too.

OP - Gen 1 guy here. All Raptors are good trucks and if you're planning on keeping it mostly stock, aren't looking for a lot of power out of it, and only likely to keep it for a few years, than a Gen 2 is probably the better move.

Prices on '17s seem to be dropping pretty quick. If you can find one with 30-40k miles on it that has been trouble free, then that is the route I would go as it has already proven itself to be "one of the good ones". AG was available in '17, as well.

Then again, those LF '18s were very good looking trucks...

Everything you had said was ********. The Gen 2 makes plenty of power especially with mods, and there is absolutely no reason someone should "only keep one a few years". No Gen 1 without an aftermarket modifications and/or a Supercharger kit can even come close to the power of a stock Gen 2.

You claimed "prices on 17's are dropping quick"...I posted the classified from Autotrader that completely contradicted your assertion. You had no answer, and then you were subsequently banned for trolling.

If you are seriously back on here to contribute and discuss relevant topics, than I am open to further discussion. But please don't relapse to false perceptions, false assertions, or slanted views of trucks based on generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.