Don't tell the Gen. 1 guys I'm over here.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've been lurking and actively searching for a low mileage Gen. 1 for a couple of months. I'm coming from 200k mile, 2003, F350 King Ranch Crew. So I missed out on a low mile 2014 Whipple and have been scouring over the ads everyday. Was looking in the $35-50k range.

The other night the misses was on her laptop and said why are you looking at the Gen. 1 when the Gen. 2 has all this new stuff? I start with the V8 argument and she says V-what? Long story short she says for $50-60k you can get a much better/newer truck. So that is where we currently are at.

So it looks like when comparing apples to apples, the 17's and 18's are very similar. 19's have the better independent suspension but then very similar. So which year is the best bang for the buck and what should I look out for?

Hopefully the Gen. 1 guys won't realize I got out of the pen!

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for you, I sort by new...

LOL. Me too.

OP - Gen 1 guy here. All Raptors are good trucks and if you're planning on keeping it mostly stock, aren't looking for a lot of power out of it, and only likely to keep it for a few years, than a Gen 2 is probably the better move.

Prices on '17s seem to be dropping pretty quick. If you can find one with 30-40k miles on it that has been trouble free, then that is the route I would go as it has already proven itself to be "one of the good ones". AG was available in '17, as well.

Then again, those LF '18s were very good looking trucks...

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I've been lurking and actively searching for a low mileage Gen. 1 for a couple of months. I'm coming from 200k mile, 2003, F350 King Ranch Crew. So I missed out on a low mile 2014 Whipple and have been scouring over the ads everyday. Was looking in the $35-50k range.

The other night the misses was on her laptop and said why are you looking at the Gen. 1 when the Gen. 2 has all this new stuff? I start with the V8 argument and she says V-what? Long story short she says for $50-60k you can get a much better/newer truck. So that is where we currently are at.

So it looks like when comparing apples to apples, the 17's and 18's are very similar. 19's have the better independent suspension but then very similar. So which year is the best bang for the buck and what should I look out for?

Hopefully the Gen. 1 guys won't realize I got out of the pen!
You'll be busted soon. There's a few Gen1 guys that spend more time trolling the Gen2 section than they spend in the Gen1 section.

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL. Me too.

OP - Gen 1 guy here. All Raptors are good trucks and if you're planning on keeping it mostly stock, aren't looking for a lot of power out of it, and only likely to keep it for a few years, than a Gen 2 is probably the better move.

Prices on '17s seem to be dropping pretty quick. If you can find one with 30-40k miles on it that has been trouble free, then that is the route I would go as it has already proven itself to be "one of the good ones". AG was available in '17, as well.

Then again, those LF '18s were very good looking trucks...

17's do look like a pretty decent deal. The goal somewhere down the road is to obtain a Shelby or Roush edition and play Supercharger Man! But, that'll have to wait until my 11 year old drives so my 17 year old can pass the 350 to him and I the 17' to him. In the meantime, a Gen. 2 will seem pretty cushy for sure.

Last edited:

Truckasaurus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
17's do look like a pretty decent deal. The goal somewhere down the road is to obtain a Shelby or Roush edition and play Supercharger Man! But, that' have to wait until my 11 year old drives so my 17 year old can pass the 350 to him and I the 17' to him. In the meantime, a Gen. 2 will seem pretty cushy for sure.

Your plan makes sense but, as you can already tell, it is getting harder and harder to find a clean low mileage Gen 1.

I personally wouldn't bother paying a premium for a Shelby or Roush unless it was a Shelby Baja 700. Those trucks will really be worth something down the road. I am watching for one, myself.

What's your current budget?

OP
OP
911 Crazy

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your plan makes sense but, as you can already tell, it is getting harder and harder to find a clean low mileage Gen 1.

I personally wouldn't bother paying a premium for a Shelby or Roush unless it was a Shelby Baja 700. Those trucks will really be worth something down the road. I am watching for one, myself.

What's your current budget?

$50-60k

Hburgrap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re up to $60k you have plenty of options man. Find an 18 and send it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 19/20s have newer suspension and I believe tech package with stop and go active cruise included. Really not any major changes in gen2 that would make me want to avoid 17/18s.

Status
Not open for further replies.