Dolby Atmos with the Unleashed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to preface this with, I had a really nice system in my last truck (mosconi, morel, arc audio, audiomobile) so I know there is a big difference between aftermarket and the B&O. With that being said, I use spotify for most of my streaming. First time i heard it in the new truck, as others have said, its not that great.
However, last night a buddy has hi-fi streaming with either Amazon and it was advertised as Atmos streaming. I switched the B&O system to surround, and it sounded a whole helluva lot better. I was actually shocked. Keep in mind this is in comparison to Spotify vs Amazon Atmos streaming.

Anyone else tried out Atmos streaming through one of the services?

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do not...but with my 10k system I listen to mostly rebassed music off a thumb drive or the DJ Rusticles App. Happy Hunting though!

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to preface this with, I had a really nice system in my last truck (mosconi, morel, arc audio, audiomobile) so I know there is a big difference between aftermarket and the B&O. With that being said, I use spotify for most of my streaming. First time i heard it in the new truck, as others have said, its not that great.
However, last night a buddy has hi-fi streaming with either Amazon and it was advertised as Atmos streaming. I switched the B&O system to surround, and it sounded a whole helluva lot better. I was actually shocked. Keep in mind this is in comparison to Spotify vs Amazon Atmos streaming.

Anyone else tried out Atmos streaming through one of the services?

Was your buddy playing atoms audio in his vehicle or a home system? Curious as I've not heard of an in vehicle atmos setup, though I have not looked for it.

Yes, I've heard atmos audio in my home. IMO, it'***** and miss, depending on the particular track and how it was put together. A lot of old popular songs sound horrible in atmos, because it was created for stereo, and it makes no sense to hear random noisies from above. Some tracks sound great in atmos, as it can be very immersive. And many audio types don't like atmos as they believe recorded music should always try and sound like live music, with a front stage. I guess I'm somewhere in between.

I believe the surround sound your hearing in the Raptor is going to be simulated. I could be wrong, but to play surround audio, it would need to play a track recorded in surround, delivered by a service that handles surround audio. Not very common. I am generally not a fan of simulated stuff. It's interesting for a change of pace, but will get stale after a while. But that's me.

OP
OP
cdiddy4224

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He was playing the Atmos audio in my truck with the unleashed system. It could have been that the audio was of a higher bitrate, which is why it sounded better.
In my last truck with the stereo I mentioned above, I'd notice a huge difference between music playing off my USB drive vs the streaming music. I had no idea that companies like Tidal, Apple and Amazon had higher fidelity audio compared to Spotify. I thought all streaming music quality was pretty crappy.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He was playing the Atmos audio in my truck with the unleashed system. It could have been that the audio was of a higher bitrate, which is why it sounded better.
In my last truck with the stereo I mentioned above, I'd notice a huge difference between music playing off my USB drive vs the streaming music. I had no idea that companies like Tidal, Apple and Amazon had higher fidelity audio compared to Spotify. I thought all streaming music quality was pretty crappy.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the stock B&O is not capable of playing atmos audio. The Amazon top tier streaming service does have HD (CD quality), ultra HD and atmos content depending on what the track is recorded in and what your system could play. My guess is you heard HD or ultra HD (you wouldn't hear the difference) and that would definitely sound better than typical streaming.

Streaming service used to all play at lower rates, but now they are using higher bit rates to charge higher rates and/or get an edge over the competition.

OP
OP
cdiddy4224

cdiddy4224

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the stock B&O is not capable of playing atmos audio. The Amazon top tier streaming service does have HD (CD quality), ultra HD and atmos content depending on what the track is recorded in and what your system could play. My guess is you heard HD or ultra HD (you wouldn't hear the difference) and that would definitely sound better than typical streaming.

Streaming service used to all play at lower rates, but now they are using higher bit rates to charge higher rates and/or get an edge over the competition.
makes sense. After hearing the higher quality music, I signed up for apple music. I've had spotify for years and rumor was spotify was supposed to come out with an HD offering, but nothing yet. I'll see how apple music sounds on my drive later today

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the streaming services are better until they aren't, which usually is due to reducing bandwidth gradually to increase profit instead of upgrading to accommodate a growing amount of users.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rather than painting so called surround with a broad brush of suck, I tend to judge individual tracks. And there are some, though I can’t recall at the moment with specificity, that don’t sound half bad on the B&O in surround mode. It presents somewhat of a 3D soundstage at times.

Overall, the system sucks. Without going full in on aftermarket, if you want to hear a very good OEM system, and there aren’t too many, listen to the Meridian in a Range Rover or the new McIntosh in the Grand Wagoneer. The Meridian is JB Smoove.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rather than painting so called surround with a broad brush of suck, I tend to judge individual tracks. And there are some, though I can’t recall at the moment with specificity, that don’t sound half bad on the B&O in surround mode. It presents somewhat of a 3D soundstage at times.

Overall, the system sucks. Without going full in on aftermarket, if you want to hear a very good OEM system, and there aren’t too many, listen to the Meridian in a Range Rover or the new McIntosh in the Grand Wagoneer. The Meridian is JB Smoove.
Also check out the Bowers & Wilkins system in the Volvo XC90. Best factory sound system I’ve ever heard.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also check out the Bowers & Wilkins system in the Volvo XC90. Best factory sound system I’ve ever heard.
B&W makes awesome speakers. Always loved them. Volvo, on the other hand, not so much. I owned one Volvo, back when my son was born in 1986, a 740 turbo. That car made Ford look like the model of reliability. Volvo's are historically very safe vehicles, but other than that, ehh. Their ride quality has never been great. I gave 'em one chance and they failed miserably. In mine, the driver's seat moved upon acceleration and braking like a rocking chair.

There was a major leak from the turbocharger which they couldn't find for over a year and a half, even though there was a loud vacuum noise coming from engine.

just my 2 cents.