Does it matter when you buy your extended warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the funny thing about this topic... no one wants to spend money on these things... and then no one actually wants to use it once they have it. What’s wrong with this picture!?!? LOL

I’m with Donmatteo. For me and how often I buy new cars, GEICO MBI is the best option for me. And I like being able to take my vehicle anywhere I want - not just the Ford stealership.

Say what you will about <enter insurance company name here> but I’ve been with GEICO for almost 20 years and have had nothing but great service... and yes, I’ve sadly had both auto and homeowner claims.

Here’s a post I did awhile back.

GEICO sells Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) for vehicles that are less than 15 months old and less than 15,000 miles. If you’re over either of these, Fords ESP is your best option.

GEICO’s MBI covers your entire vehicle - all parts and systems for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles - whichever occurs first. You can take your vehicle anywhere, including a Ford dealership, for service. A GEICO representative will provide a credit card for payment if they don’t already have an established relationship with the repair shop.

The biggest difference for me is the price. After looking at Flood and Zeigler, who hands down offer the best prices, a 5 year 100,000 PremiumCARE plan with a $200 deductible would cost me $930. (I purchase on mileage rather than years due to driving 20k per year.)

I'm paying $118.20 per year for GEICO's MBI - this comes out to $591 for 5 years, or 100,000 miles. I'm saving $339 vs purchasing Fords extended warranty.

In the end, we live in a place where we have options - you can do whatever you want. Pick your poison and live with it.

Last edited:

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here’s the funny thing about this topic... no one wants to spend money on these things... and then no one actually wants to use it once they you have. What’s wrong with this picture!?!? LOL

I’m with Donmatteo. For me and how often I buy new cars, GEICO MBI is the best option for me. And I like being able to take my vehicle anywhere I want - not just the Ford stealership.

Say what you will about <enter insurance company name here> but I’ve been with GEICO for almost 20 years and have had nothing but great service... and yes, I’ve sadly had both auto and homeowner claims.

Here’s a post I did awhile back.

GEICO sells Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) for vehicles that are less than 15 months old and less than 15,000 miles. If you’re over either of these, Fords ESP is your best option.

GEICO’s MBI covers your entire vehicle - all parts and systems for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles - whichever occurs first. You can take your vehicle anywhere, including a Ford dealership, for service. A GEICO representative will provide a credit card for payment if they don’t already have an established relationship with the repair shop.

The biggest difference for me is the price. After looking at Flood and Zeigler, who hands down offer the best prices, a 5 year 100,000 PremiumCARE plan with a $200 deductible would cost me $930. (I purchase on mileage rather than years due to driving 20k per year.)

I'm paying $118.20 per year for GEICO's MBI - this comes out to $591 for 5 years, or 100,000 miles. I'm saving $339 vs purchasing Fords extended warranty.

In the end, we live in a place where we have options - you can do whatever you want. Pick your poison and live with it.

All very helpful and valid points. Its definitely a pick your own poison situation. I was curious yesterday and had Geico quote insurance plus the MBI on the Raptor. Taking the cost of our current premium and adding the Ford Premium Care warratny from Flood (cheapest I found) and comparing to Geico plus the MBI, it was more expensive overall. For some, the MBI is cheaper but then you are forced to use Geico for insurance which may be more expensive than other options. For what its worth, neither my wife nor I have any accidents, speeding tickets, auto or home claims...knock on wood...and the Geico rate was 2.3x more expensive than our current.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you take that quote and bring it down to the dealer you will use the most, they should be able to beat it or least match it.
Plus going through the dealer you will use the most can get you a better $0 deductible package.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All very helpful and valid points. Its definitely a pick your own poison situation. I was curious yesterday and had Geico quote insurance plus the MBI on the Raptor. Taking the cost of our current premium and adding the Ford Premium Care warratny from Flood (cheapest I found) and comparing to Geico plus the MBI, it was more expensive overall. For some, the MBI is cheaper but then you are forced to use Geico for insurance which may be more expensive than other options. For what its worth, neither my wife nor I have any accidents, speeding tickets, auto or home claims...knock on wood...and the Geico rate was 2.3x more expensive than our current.
That’s a very valid point, ljn21, you have to be insured with GEICO - and like their rates.

D

Deleted member 12951

If you take that quote and bring it down to the dealer you will use the most, they should be able to beat it or least match it.
Plus going through the dealer you will use the most can get you a better $0 deductible package.
Didn’t happen for me. I brought the Flood quote with me and they wouldn’t match it. I told them that I would buy it from them for $100 more. They were at $125 and wouldn’t budge. They ended up selling me the raptor without and lost the warranty sale. I ended up buying the Flood one, 6 months later.

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Didn’t happen for me. I brought the Flood quote with me and they wouldn’t match it. I told them that I would buy it from them for $100 more. They were at $125 and wouldn’t budge. They ended up selling me the raptor without and lost the warranty sale. I ended up buying the Flood one, 6 months later.

I’ve heard this same story several times. I say screw the dealers, just go to flood ford because they are straight up.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a factory warranty on my old raptor. Waste of money IMHO. As long as parts are covered and I don't have to pay for anything, what's the difference? And unless you're going to keep it for 8 years or 150K miles, you're just tossing money away. Be realistic on how long you're going to keep it and plan accordingly.

But aren't these factory warranties transferable so might be a nice added perk at sales time? I know it would for me.

Sinz

Reaction score
So for all who may be getting the Ford warranty info in the mail as I approach 36K on my 2019 Raptor, and this is direct from the Ford Warranty rep off of the official Ford Flyer,

Premium Care Ford Phone Rep: 3 years/100K/$200.00 Ded = $2,424.34 / 3 years/100K/$0 Ded = $3,087.04
Premium Flood Ford Esp: 3 years/100K/$200.00 Ded = $945.00 / 3 years/100K/$0 Ded = $1,560.00

Premium Ford Phone Rep: 4 years/100K/$200.00 Ded = $2,472.34 / 4 years/100K/$0 Ded = $3,135.00
Premium Flood Ford Esp: 4 years/100K/$200.00 Ded = $980.00 / 4 years/100K/$0 Ded = $1,595.00

https://www.floodfordesp.com/esp_pl...2=0&Surcharge5=0&Surcharge3=0&Submit=Continue

A few things to note here
1) Ford direct is offering 10% down 0% interest financing 12 months for the 4 year plans, and 6 months on the 3 year plan
2) Obv form price points they adding the extra years on is like $100.00 or less
3) Based on post above when considering the deductible as noted depending on the visits can add up when selecting the $200.00 ded option (10 visits x $200.00=$2,000.00)

Thank you to the forum for leading me to Flood ford for the resource just saved me literally 1K

See link below and if needed you can call Gardner the Flood Ford ESP Internet rep 1-(888)318-8534.

Prices are good till 09.30.2020 hope this saves someone else who may be in my shoes as well.

RaptorFun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Sinz...thanks for taking the time to post this useful and valuable warranty information. I’m confident members here will find it of benefit.