Does anyone make cams besides Livernois?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burntoutaccountant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make cams besides Livernois? I looked at the graphs and want more low end. I reached out to ford strokers but he doesn’t do these motors, only sbf. I won’t work with Ed Curtis at flowtech again.

I have a whipple right now already installed. Will be running kooks, catless mids, and a new cat back.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check with @Cody Dawson at Perfect Circle Engines. He had a custom grind cam made by Crower I believe. He’s the only vendor other than Livernois that I’ve seen post anything about head, cam, or valvetrain upgrades for the 6.2L Boss engine. I’ve been running Cody’s PAC Racing valve springs, shims, and titanium retainers on my Whipple supercharged engine. My engine is otherwise stock though other than a Melling Performance oil pump with billet gears and refreshed timing components.

OP
OP
B

burntoutaccountant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with @Cody Dawson at Perfect Circle Engines. He had a custom grind cam made by Crower I believe. He’s the only vendor other than Livernois that I’ve seen post anything about head, cam, or valvetrain upgrades for the 6.2L Boss engine. I’ve been running Cody’s PAC Racing valve springs, shims, and titanium retainers on my Whipple supercharged engine. My engine is otherwise stock though other than a Melling Performance oil pump with billet gears and refreshed timing components.
That really sucks. I want the power band down lower. I wonder if they’d spec a low rpm blower cam.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@burntoutaccountant I’m not sure what Gen Whipple you have, but JDM’s dyno runs when they started tuning the Gen 3 Whipple showed around 500lb-ft at the wheels at 3250 RPM with 78lb injectors. What exactly are you looking for as far as torque vs. RPM?

OP
OP
B

burntoutaccountant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume it’s factory injectors and an earlier generation. My assumption is based on the intercooler setup seen here. The reservoir is not tucked away from my understanding it’s not tucked up under the bumper 507B26F3-3131-4216-9AB2-DC7273D180CC.jpeg

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You definitely don’t have stock fuel injectors unless you mean what was provided with the supercharger (usually 48 or 60lb). I’d recommend checking with whoever you’re going to use to update the tune for your truck to discuss your needs to be sure that installing cams are your best bang for buck. You don’t want to screw up your street driving characteristics in search of more low-end power especially since that’s typically not an issue with a positive displacement supercharger. Most of the guys that have talked about installing aftermarket cams did so along with a 6.6L build and/or ported heads etc. Regardless, you’ll need a good tuner.

The stock Raptor 6.2L cams are already more aggressive than those used in the Super Duty trucks. Since you already have a Whipple, I’d look at the comparative costs of upgrading your head unit to the latest Gen 4 which has improved rotor profiles and casting of the case. It’ll net more boost at a given pulley size relative to older generations and it negates old claims that the Roush/Eaton 2.3L supercharger has more lowend power.

I’m not saying a cam only upgrade won’t do anything, but make sure you discuss with a good tuner or performance shop to make sure you’re getting the gains or changes you’re looking for based on that upgrade route. Depending on how much boost you’re already running, moving peak power down lower in RPM may just increase your chance of grenading something in your drivetrain especially if you get wheel hop or any other driveline shock. Not sure if you can see it in my pic, but the Gen 3 and 4 2.9L Whipple has slightly angled ribs cast into the top of the case. That’s probably the easiest way to tell other than a serial number.

97EDAF30-B351-4AB5-8434-EA9BC93929AE.jpeg

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One other note. Your Whipple heat exchanger setup looks like the older version of what would’ve come from Whipple as a Stage 1 setup which had a smaller fanless heat exchanger, smaller GT500 throttle body, a larger pulley, and could be run with stock spark plugs. You may get what you need by doing upgrades equivalent to a Stage 2 kit which has colder heat range plugs, smaller pulley (3.25” or so I believe), larger throttle body, and the HD heat exchanger with fans.

You could get those components from Whipple or a reseller. Shops such as JDM also have their own flavor of the Stage 2 kit such as the JDM 700 package. Similar to the cams or any other upgrade, it really just depends on who’s tune you want to run. Whipple won’t tune for any aftermarket parts other than maybe headers, but I believe their tune is emissions legal in all states. JDM and other shops will tune for any mods you have.

OP
OP
B

burntoutaccountant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other note. Your Whipple heat exchanger setup looks like the older version of what would’ve come from Whipple as a Stage 1 setup which had a smaller fanless heat exchanger, smaller GT500 throttle body, a larger pulley, and could be run with stock spark plugs. You may get what you need by doing upgrades equivalent to a Stage 2 kit which has colder heat range plugs, smaller pulley (3.25” or so I believe), larger throttle body, and the HD heat exchanger with fans.

You could get those components from Whipple or a reseller. Shops such as JDM also have their own flavor of the Stage 2 kit such as the JDM 700 package. Similar to the cams or any other upgrade, it really just depends on who’s tune you want to run. Whipple won’t tune for any aftermarket parts other than maybe headers, but I believe their tune is emissions legal in all states. JDM and other shops will tune for any mods you have.
Dude this is great information. I did know I had an older mustang style intercooler. Someone on another thread pointed out the difference in thickness. I already planned on getting a larger intercooler down the road. It has a 3.5" pulley on it.

We were looking at it on Saturday and determined it is a Ford OEM stock throttle body. The shop that changed the oil said not to use the Whipple throttle body. They have seen issues with them. I'll get with Whipple to see what they recommend. Maybe I just need to upgrade a few things to hit higher power levels.

I wanted to do cams because I come from the LS and SBF world where that is a absolute must. I have to remember there aren't many options for these 6.2 Boss engines.

I checked the ribs on the supercharger and they are straight indicating it is an older generation. Maybe whipple has some retrofit parts to help it out.

Kooks headers are in my future. Just trying to determine if I want the green cats. I know GTO guys who swapped LSA blowers onto their cars kept melting the Kooks green cats.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you want to stick with a Ford OEM throttle body, you should reach out to JDM. One of their upgrade options for their 700 package is the Ford Performance Dual 65mm Cobra Jet Throttle body. The other upgrade option is 78lb injectors from DeatschWerks. You’d get a shorter belt and smaller pulley regardless. They also offer an Afco heat exchanger with fans which may be a bit cheaper than the Whipple HD exchanger since those are a bit more expensive when purchased separately. The Afco unit is support to have similar performance. Email or call JDM. They’re very responsive and have a ton of experience with the 6.2L Boss engine.

Do you already have billet oil pump gears? That’s a longevity/preventative consideration as well especially if you go beyond 6-8lbs of boost.

As for the Gen 4 Whipple head unit, you’d get the benefit of more boost and less heat due to greater efficiency at a given RPM.

I typically run IAT2 post-intercooler temps at around 30 degrees above ambient in most conditions which is pretty good.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have the Gen 2 compressor, only thing you need to find out is did they upgrade the intercooler at time of purchase.
Plus, if it was purchased at the end of 2011 going forward, it will have the bigger intercooler regardless.

If the intercooler has been upgraded, then it's a easy upgrade to the Stage Ii.
And you can use the Whipple twin 68mm TB without worrying about surging.
JDM will want the smaller 65mm TB regardless of Gen compressor.
I would not do any exhaust mods till you upgraded the Supercharging stuff first.
I run full stock exhaust and I am putting down 561 HP to the ground.
Not many Supercharged Raptors are doing that with headers and aftermarket exhausts.
Save your money and do it at the end of your build.