Does anyone know where the TPMS module is? I'm getting tire pressure monitor fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to chime in here with some info. My dealer had a Gen3 in that wouldn’t stop throwing TPMS sensor alarms. Long story short, 20k later in parts, and a Ford field engineer, they are confident the culprit was the AC/DC inverter causing RF interference. They apparently have been having issues with these. They had to replace it twice, and the truck hasn’t been back since. Been a month now. They are hoping that’s what solved it.
So if it is the inverter, wouldn't turning pro power off with the default being on ready to supply up to 400w, eliminate the interference per ignition cycle? Since it seems to read tire pressures during the time the engine is off, but not when running from one to three sensors for me, interference sounds very likely. I'm going to try turning off pro power next drive anyway to test myself. When I started trouble shooting this originally I disconnected anything I had added to rule out interference but didn't think it would be from an included feature.

enjoitheride

Reaction score
So if it is the inverter, wouldn't turning pro power off with the default being on ready to supply up to 400w, eliminate the interference per ignition cycle? Since it seems to read tire pressures during the time the engine is off, but not when running from one to three sensors for me, interference sounds very likely. I'm going to try turning off pro power next drive anyway to test myself. When I started trouble shooting this originally I disconnected anything I had added to rule out interference but didn't think it would be from an included feature.

I’m not sure. I just got my truck, and still learning everything. My buddy just gave that info to me after they figured out the issues. They seriously tore this entire truck apart. Looking for bad wiring, grounds, etc. they had 20k in labor and parts thrown at this thing. After replacing the inverter a second time, it corrected the problem. Just trying to help throw some ideas out there incase others can’t diagnose the issue, this might be a cause.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure. My buddy just gave that info to me after they figured out the issues. They seriously tore this entire truck apart. Looking for bad wiring, grounds, etc. they had 20k in labor and parts thrown at this thing. After replacing the inverter a second time, it corrected the problem. Just trying to help throw some ideas out there incase others can’t diagnose the issue, this might be a cause.
Definitely appreciated, any info helps. Especially since it doesn't appear to be a common problem, less than a hand full it appears to be with it in this forum. Shouldn't be bad batteries in more than one sensor, could be interference (my initial hypothesis) or a bad receiver. Definitely not worth having my truck torn apart to find the problem, i'd probably just live with it like I've been doing for the past 2200 miles. Only concern would be on long trips, would be like before tpms tech lol.

ofcbarbrady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d like to chime in here with some info. My dealer had a Gen3 in that wouldn’t stop throwing TPMS sensor alarms. Long story short, 20k later in parts, and a Ford field engineer, they are confident the culprit was the AC/DC inverter causing RF interference. They apparently have been having issues with these. They had to replace it twice, and the truck hasn’t been back since. Been a month now. They are hoping that’s what solved it.
Thank you very much for the info - I’ll be sure to make my service people aware so I can actually enjoy my truck….

num3erz

Reaction score
I have the same exact problem with my 22 Raptor 37. They replaced the sensor, but the issue came back up. Only happens when I drive over 30 minutes straight without shutting off the truck. My issue is front driver side.

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, it worked!! I started my truck, turned pro power off, drove 45 minutes, tpms worked the whole time tire temps on all 4 went up as the tires warmed up instead of my left ones staying the same as when I started. No tmps errors.. First time driving more than 20-30 minutes without the tpms warning. Definitely interference from pro power inverter..

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the replacement RTM didn’t fix it. I told them about the ProPower….so we will see what’s next tomorrow morning
If I leave propower on, and drive so my right side tires show they're warmed up a couple psi then turn off propower, in less than a minute, the left tires update their psi. Crazy.. I hope they don't drag their feet on your fix.

Last edited:

ofcbarbrady

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right. Replacing the RTM did nothing -but disconnecting the ProPower did. THAT is causing the interference, and of course the problem is the fuse pulled for it also disconnects the cameras and a few other things. Ford is supposedly working on a fix….so we wait….. but how is this just happening now ??

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right. Replacing the RTM did nothing -but disconnecting the ProPower did. THAT is causing the interference, and of course the problem is the fuse pulled for it also disconnects the cameras and a few other things. Ford is supposedly working on a fix….so we wait….. but how is this just happening now ??
Right! They must have changed something like a different, cheaper inverter.. Until there is a fix, I'm just turning off pro power for each longer ride. If they have to replace the inverter then I'll make sure they order it then get it installed in one day. At least we all know what's causing it now, Thanks to enjoitheride!