Does anyone (Engineers) try what they design?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
:( I am an engineer. I can’t test most of my stuff because it either retrofits existing systems on the space station or is a propulsion or charging system for a satellite system. I guess I will just go away since I obviously offer nothing of value to society.
Sure you do! Don't take it personal - a little good natured ribbing is a good character builder. ;)
Besides, here on FRF a thick skin goes a long way.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I attach a couple of threaded quick links that hang down and allow for easier hooking and unhooking.
I did this also, works well.
I was going to post a pic but didn’t want to show off all that surface rust underneath.

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Threaded link huh? Sounds like the solution I’m looking for. Can anyone suggest one to use?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Threaded link huh? Sounds like the solution I’m looking for. Can anyone suggest one to use?
Home Depot, Lowes, or any decent hardware store. Looks like this. The barrel looking piece acts as a nut and is threaded. It would unscrew from the lower end, then it will slide up the smooth shaft to make a gap to put it on your hitch. Once it's on, screw it back together and tighten it up and drop your chain hooks through it. They are only a couple of bucks apiece.

1650856474688.png

DrGrant

Reaction score
Sure you do! Don't take it personal - a little good natured ribbing is a good character builder. ;)
Besides, here on FRF a thick skin goes a long way.
Sorry, that was sarcasm…never translates well on the internet. Trust me, I work with the payload and integration teams constantly to overcome issues of things that worked in a 3d model, but would be impossible to install in the real world. I know what people say about engineers. I can’t speak for all of us, but some of us do try to work with installers when time and budget constraints allow for it.

Anyway, I wasn’t actually running off with my tail between my legs. 20 years in the Army taught me better than that. Just thought folks should be aware that some of us are engineers, and we don’t appreciate poor design any more than the technicians do. We have to leave them something to bill warranty hours to.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
:( I am an engineer. I can’t test most of my stuff because it either retrofits existing systems on the space station or is a propulsion or charging system for a satellite system. I guess I will just go away since I obviously offer nothing of value to society.

Everyone on the internet is an Engineer in their spare time, with their multiple full time jobs being lawyer, after retiring from medical practice / trauma surgeon and family practice, and while not practicing law, actually enforcing it as a volunteer deputy sheriff.

So yeah, if you’re just a full time engineer, apparently you’re in need of upping your game ;-)

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, that was sarcasm…never translates well on the internet. Trust me, I work with the payload and integration teams constantly to overcome issues of things that worked in a 3d model, but would be impossible to install in the real world. I know what people say about engineers. I can’t speak for all of us, but some of us do try to work with installers when time and budget constraints allow for it.

Anyway, I wasn’t actually running off with my tail between my legs. 20 years in the Army taught me better than that. Just thought folks should be aware that some of us are engineers, and we don’t appreciate poor design any more than the technicians do. We have to leave them something to bill warranty hours to.
My original post wasn’t meant to disparage anyone, much less engineers. You use way more brainpower than I’ve ever possessed. I’m actually in awe of engineers. Building bridges, buildings, spacecraft, heck, I wish I had half the smarts.

I just always find it weird when a part or a system in something like a vehicle doesn’t function well and I can spot it. I wonder how the manufacturer doesn‘t.

Perfect example: I was just backing my Gen3 out of a spot, yeah at Costco, and the rear alert started beeping, as it does if someone or something is behind you. My gen2 did the same. It’s a nice feature.
Apparently the Gen3 has auto emergency braking in reverse. The passing car was turning away from me and not close yet it jammed the brakes on. Ok, I’ll take that. I get it. Now the car was further away, I began to backup and damned if it didn’t jam the brakes on again. Lol.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ah, there are engineers and then there are Engineers. Same as in any profession. I worked closely with engineers during 26 years in weapon system project offices with the Army. Most of those guys and gals were really tops - competent, dedicated, even inspired. But like every other profession, half of them graduated in the bottom 50% of their class. That's not always critical when it comes to engineers, but it's always critical when it comes to doctors and lawyers!

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DrGrant, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on what could be better engineered on the Gen 3. I'm friends with a couple engineers. Both are functionally OCD. I mean that in a good way Sir. I find that the mind of an engineer is a fundamentally different. Highly motivated, inventive and critical. I wonder if you haven't already redesigned something on your truck?