Does anyone (Engineers) try what they design?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I always found it a bit difficult to remove my tow chains from the holes on my Gen2. They are far behind the hitch and under the body. Just a dumb location. Never had a problem putting the hooks in but getting them out was harder.

When I saw it was redesigned on the Gen3, I was glad. They noticed a design flaw and fixed it. They brought the holes forward toward the ball which in theory would make it easier to hook and unhook the hooks.

Well, unfortunately not. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t use a locking pin for the piece that slides in on which is the ball. Even if you don’t have a lock, you still must have a pin. Well, in my case the lock, and the opposite side of the pin that slides in covers up at least half the hole on each side. I was almost unable to get the hook in fully.

I mean, really, Ford?

There’s an old joke: Architecture student hands in final assignment to professor. He designed a beautiful bridge. Professor goes over design and slaps a big F on the bridge.

Student says, I designed beautiful bridge. Professor says yes, you built beautiful bridge but bridge will fall down. No partial credit. Holy dog sh*t.

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have always said engineers should have to work on and use the product they want to design. Same thing for architects, they need to build something before pencil touches paper. Too much schooling and not enough practical experience.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see that you are using a straight pin, instead of an angled one? There is also a reason that the chain hooks are harder to come off than on. Shiit has to be engineered today to fullfil the 97% of the population that are dumber than a sack of potatoes. Back in the 60 70's stuff was engineered to work, then the safety factor took over and quickly multiplied to protect the more and more idiotic society that we live in today. Go out and grab a Karen and thank her for these safety standards. I'm sure her husband is wearing a plaid shirt, man bun and straight jeans!

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( I am an engineer. I can’t test most of my stuff because it either retrofits existing systems on the space station or is a propulsion or charging system for a satellite system. I guess I will just go away since I obviously offer nothing of value to society.

Sarcasm is loud and clear with this one! :favorites37:
If you don’t move they won’t see your sarcasm….