Dodge to discontinue V8 Hellcat (TRX), What does that mean for Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Not sure it matters but there are two technicalities that make me think the TRX v8 will stick around.
1) dodge and Ram are two different brands
2) Ram doesn’t recognize the V8 in the TRX as a hellcat in name.
I think you’re onto something for sure. While other people covered this point, I agree with your perspective on it.

The blue collar market will be there forever, and they’re always going to want real trucks regardless of how far EVs get in terms of reliability. People who do any kind of recreational off-roading will always want ICE engines, and people who tow things (think small business owners, people with campers, big toy trailers, ect) will always want v8s and diesels. If the market exists it will get filled. Dodge and Ford have no intention of alienating those markets, especially not any sooner than they would absolutely have to in the worst case scenario of federal regulation.

Last edited:

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think of the number of people that stop at fuel pumps daily for travel, now imagine replacing those with charging stations, some being super chargers, and other not being super chargers. There's no way cities will have the physical space to accommodate all of the people needing to charge their EV's for 30 minutes to 6 hours while not disrupting any and all continuity in travel for people. This will severely restrict travel, and bottle neck an already crippled supply chain even more should EV's become the .gov mandated form of transportation. Travel would become a luxury for most given the difficulty, and limited range of EV's (which is getting better but not drastically in real life applications). So we will still have a ruling class of elites and government officials who can travel freely in private jets, while you have to wait for your 6 month appointment to get a charger allocation more than 300 miles out of your home city.

Reaction score
Agreed. I have a Mach-E on order for the wife. I just couldn't justify buying an ICE vehicle for her when thinking about resale in 5 to 10 years.

I believe the Rivian and Lightning are perfect ideas, but an electric Raptor just isn't feasible. I regularly drive 200+ miles to get to a desert, then two to three 300+ off-road mile days, then 200 home. We generally have 5 to 10 trucks and no rural desert charging station is going to have more than 4, so now we're waiting for the 45+ min multiple times over. That isn't even mentioning Baja, where charging stations aren't going to be a regular thing for quite a long time.
I agree, there is no such thing as an EV off-road vehicle. It’s not feasible even if the charging infrastructure was there. I wouldn’t want to go goosing around off-road with a gigantic, mega heavy, questionably-reliable, questionably-safe battery as the only thing that’s gonna get me home.

Hell, even if there was a solar powered super charger that was super compact and portable, didn’t cost another hundred thousand dollars, was super reliable (lol as if) that could charge my imaginary Lighting Raptor’s massive battery in ten minutes I’m still not interested in driving that deathrap.

Even if it was a full non plug in hybrid, which would only make things a little tiny bit better and a whole lot more expensive. It’s just not a good idea.
Resale in 10 years when the battery is dead or dying I am sure will affect resale value. Gone will be days of barn finds that start right up.
I wasn’t going to touch the subject, but you took the words out of my mouth.

Do some serious research on the history of The Pruis.
Then ask yourself if you’re a gambling man.
Now imagine you’re taking that same gamble, only it’s on Ford, not Toyota. And instead of a hybrid, it’s full electric.

I wouldn’t let my wife take that bullet lol.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Think of the number of people that stop at fuel pumps daily for travel, now imagine replacing those with charging stations, some being super chargers, and other not being super chargers. There's no way cities will have the physical space to accommodate all of the people needing to charge their EV's for 30 minutes to 6 hours while not disrupting any and all continuity in travel for people. This will severely restrict travel, and bottle neck an already crippled supply chain even more should EV's become the .gov mandated form of transportation. Travel would become a luxury for most given the difficulty, and limited range of EV's (which is getting better but not drastically in real life applications). So we will still have a ruling class of elites and government officials who can travel freely in private jets, while you have to wait for your 6 month appointment to get a charger allocation more than 300 miles out of your home city.
If the real plan is to make driving a private vehicle so inconvenient and expensive that people will voluntarily use public transit, it makes perfect sense. Think that's nuts? They've been doing this explicitly in Portland OR for a decade.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will own nothing and be happy :) (they hope)
Once AI and VR are effectively combined, that's going to happen. Your best friend will be virtual because real people can't possibly measure up. You'll spend every free minute in your metaverse and will resent every second you spend outside of it. The only material possessions you'll need are a bed, a fridge, and a sexbot. And your computer/phone/portal to VR. Evolution is in a race with tech. Tech will make all this possible in maybe 20 years and evolution needs maybe 200,000 years to prepare us for it. It isn't much of a race. It's a wild time to be alive. Enjoy the show, because the chances that it ends well are very low.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk about cart before the horse. There are only 40,000 charging stations across the US, per my scientific googling.

I personally won't be making the switch until I can charge in under 10min. Or until Brandon makes gas $20/gallon

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once AI and VR are effectively combined, that's going to happen. Your best friend will be virtual because real people can't possibly measure up. You'll spend every free minute in your metaverse and will resent every second you spend outside of it. The only material possessions you'll need are a bed, a fridge, and a sexbot. And your computer/phone/portal to VR. Evolution is in a race with tech. Tech will make all this possible in maybe 20 years and evolution needs maybe 200,000 years to prepare us for it. It isn't much of a race. It's a wild time to be alive. Enjoy the show, because the chances that it ends well are very low.
Sexbot! L-M-F-A-O

Reaction score
If the real plan is to make driving a private vehicle so inconvenient and expensive that people will voluntarily use public transit, it makes perfect sense. Think that's nuts? They've been doing this explicitly in Portland OR for a decade.
Can confirm, driving my Gen 1 in portland is pure hell. It’s not safe or easy to park it anywhere at all period anywhere in the city. Especially not parking garages *****.

fts

Reaction score
Although your perspective is a common one, it may be short-sighted. Most EVs today do suffer from long charging times, but I think that is changing.

The newer EVs are coming out with either 800- or 900-volt electrical architecture. For example the Lucid and even the Porsche/Audi. I do not know which architecture the Lightening Rivian is/will be using. With the 800-volt architecture, the Audi etron is able to charge to about 60-80 miles range in ~7 mins using the 350 kW chargers. The Lucid, using the 900-volt architecture, is able to add 100 miles in less than 6 mins.

Furthermore, home charging rates are already pretty good on 40-amp circuits with intelligent chargers. Charging overnight is looking to be a very viable option as well.

I think these numbers will keep improving in a short period of time. So, the EV future may not be as dark as you make it out to be. At the same time, I do agree that EVs will not take over completely in 2-3 years, but by 2030, the projections of new vehicles sales are estimated to be more than 50%.