Documentation for DIY Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I simply use a notebook in the glove box of each vehicle I own and record the date, mileage, brand and weight of oil, include oil filter and brand. If I change air filter or rotate tire's I include that as well. None of my vehicle are on a warranty any longer so I don't have to jump thru any hoops for warranty work. I quit going to a Ford dealer for anything on the Raptor after too many screws up with them in my first year of ownership. I had an extended warranty but never had to use it for anything, I've done all my own service for the last 12 years.

BaseModelRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I simply use a notebook in the glove box of each vehicle I own and record the date, mileage, brand and weight of oil, include oil filter and brand. If I change air filter or rotate tire's I include that as well. None of my vehicle are on a warranty any longer so I don't have to jump thru any hoops for warranty work. I quit going to a Ford dealer for anything on the Raptor after too many screws up with them in my first year of ownership. I had an extended warranty but never had to use it for anything, I've done all my own service for the last 12 years.
We are the same.

Pismobound

Reaction score
Put it all in Notes on my phone-I take photos of all the items with receipts and write a detailed description of all maintenance performed.

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpeg
    IMG_0186.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 10

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been documenting everything on my fordpass, plus I have a tablet(paper and pen) that I keep track of all my things, ie both raptors, bronco, rzr, dirtbike. I'm old school, meaning I'm a man of my word, if that's not good enough, then I guess I'm in trouble. My 2020 is the first vehicle I've ever bought an esp plan for, so I hope it covers things like it should if the need arises.

phill0027

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DIY oil change is great call, local oil change stations seem to have issues putting back all the skip plate bolts :-(

GLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread -- historically I've just documented everything in Notes on my phone, and as a result of this thread I've started documenting maintenance on FordPass and with pics.

Warranty-related anecdote but not Ford -- my teenage daughter drives a 2013 Hyundai Sonata that now has 120,000 miles. Three weeks ago, the engine locked up, and I researched and learned the engine had an extended warranty due to the rod bearing failure issue that is common with those engines, so I had it towed to the local dealer. Dealer tore into it and concluded it was the rod bearing, submitted it to Hyundai, and Hyundai asked for maintenance records (noting it had never been serviced at any Hyundai dealer). Within three minutes, I sent them my detailed iPhone notes showing oil changes every 5K (along with all my other very detailed maintenance records) since it was new. They approved the engine replacement within the hour.