Do you prefer lifted or stock Gen2 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are saying then that raising the front end will raise MPG?

What I am trying to say is that I have seen some variations of, "Ford spent a lot of money engineering the suspension to be perfect, why change anything and mess that up?" many times and it simply isn't true. Its designed to meet MANY needs. Simply changing it doesn't make it worse by default. Ford has to make concessions for various reasons.

DOT stipulates: "The maximum bumper height on all motor vehicles except multipurpose passenger vehicles is 28 inches for the front bumper and 30 inches for the rear bumper, measured from the road surface."

If they didn't have that, manufacturers could go crazy with lifts and anytime a truck rear ended a car they would go through the back window.

Aftermarket/enthusiasts aren't as tied to those rules.

Yes, rake affects gas mileage.

In a world where they are trying to squeak out every drop of gas with 10 speed trannys, auto start/stop, etc, it makes a difference.

Look at the Gen 1 raptor, you could level it stock with just an adjustment.

You you think a raptor leveled with preload collars (that don't affect static spring rate) and rear deavers (progressive) doesn't outperform a stock raptor simply because Ford would have done it themselves if it is so great is really misguided thinking.

TxCOR

Reaction score
I have the 1.75" front collars installed and I think it makes this truck sit perfect. Cant stand the raked look, but not a fan of big lifted trucks either.

Has such mean lines and stance OEM, you dont need much!!!

Raptor 2.jpg

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the newb question, but when people say “just level it”, are they referring to just adding 1”-2” spacers on the front springs?

Is this ok to do with the 2019 shocks?

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I am trying to say is that I have seen some variations of, "Ford spent a lot of money engineering the suspension to be perfect, why change anything and mess that up?" many times and it simply isn't true. Its designed to meet MANY needs. Simply changing it doesn't make it worse by default. Ford has to make concessions for various reasons.

DOT stipulates: "The maximum bumper height on all motor vehicles except multipurpose passenger vehicles is 28 inches for the front bumper and 30 inches for the rear bumper, measured from the road surface."

If they didn't have that, manufacturers could go crazy with lifts and anytime a truck rear ended a car they would go through the back window.

Aftermarket/enthusiasts aren't as tied to those rules.

Yes, rake affects gas mileage.

In a world where they are trying to squeak out every drop of gas with 10 speed trannys, auto start/stop, etc, it makes a difference.

Look at the Gen 1 raptor, you could level it stock with just an adjustment.

You you think a raptor leveled with preload collars (that don't affect static spring rate) and rear deavers (progressive) doesn't outperform a stock raptor simply because Ford would have done it themselves if it is so great is really misguided thinking.

I have a Gen 1. Stock it's not level. For me that looks perfectly fine.
Your last paragraph is mi-guided. I never said that nor do I subscribe to that. Oh, and I have Deavers on my Gen1 to improve the ride, which they did.
You say level gets better gas mileage. If that is so, then Ford could have improved the MPG by leveling the truck with a thinner rear spring block. And that would be fine with me also. Easier to load and unload to/from the bed.
I'd like to see the data that level gets better MPG. For me, if that is so, Ford would have done it.
I OP didn't present anything about gas mileage in his original post.

sfadchi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put Eibach springs in the front and have ICON leaf springs on the way for the rear. I can tell you as someone that uses my truck for what it was designed for, the suspension can be improved upon! Going to Raptor takeover when it was bone stock and now coming back this weekend the front springs made a big difference on how the truck handled on the track. From what I'm told the rear leafs will make an even bigger difference. I bought my front up 1.75" and I'll end up with setting the leafs on option 1 to get an additional 1" in the rear with the blocks removed.

OP
OP
GCATX

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score

That is true. My main concern is really the ride quality.
I can see how getting rid of the blocks in the rear would be helpful. Collars or any other front end lifting device will surely push the control arms toward vertical and away from horizontal, subsequently transmitting more terrain feedback to the frame.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a Gen 1. Stock it's not level. For me that looks perfectly fine.
Your last paragraph is mi-guided. I never said that nor do I subscribe to that. Oh, and I have Deavers on my Gen1 to improve the ride, which they did.
You say level gets better gas mileage. If that is so, then Ford could have improved the MPG by leveling the truck with a thinner rear spring block. And that would be fine with me also. Easier to load and unload to/from the bed.
I'd like to see the data that level gets better MPG. For me, if that is so, Ford would have done it.

You seem very hung up on mpg and that wasnt the point of my post. Anyway, stock rake gets better mileage then levelled. Stock f150s have an air dam the is soley for mpg.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is true. My main concern is really the ride quality.
I can see how getting rid of the blocks in the rear would be helpful. Collars or any other front end lifting device will surely push the control arms toward vertical and away from horizontal, subsequently transmitting more terrain feedback to the frame.

Sure, if feel was driven primarily by arm angle and not spring rate and dampening.