Do you have to remove the Whipple to replace the 16 spark plug's in GEN 1 6.2L Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EasyDoesIt

Reaction score
I didn’t replace my spark plugs since they’re still fairly new, but I did replace all eight ignition coils and plug wires today. Only things I needed to remove to allow access to the coils were the plastic cover for the Jack shaft on the Whipple and the throttle body. I went with NGK coils and Granatelli wires with silicone sleeves and Kevlar boots since I have headers albeit ceramic coated.

I've got a whipple with long tube headers and will be changing the Plugs and Wires this weekend. How was the install with your Whipple/Headers? Was it the same as stock or do the headers make it easier?

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The supercharger doesn’t need to come off to change coils or plugs. It may need to to change the supercharger oil though as I think the fill for it is on the rear of the gear case. The supercharger oil is good for 100k miles. I’m not sure about whether the gasket needs to be replaced if the supercharger comes off. I’d recommend reaching out to Whipple for a PDF of the install/maintenance manual if you don’t have a physical copy.

BTW, the MSD coils are garbage. Various reports of guys having cylinder misfires after “upgrading” to MSD coils. You’re better off sticking with Ford Motorcraft or NGK since NGK is an OEM supplier.
MSD has always given me problems. I gave them a shot on 3 different vehicles and gave up.

oplersx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips/recommended tools to do this? I am thinking to get it done when the weather warms up. Only 25k miles since whipple installed, but been in there 7 years.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should be good to go as long as you have a decent assortment of sockets, extensions, etc. The only somewhat special tools would be a swiveling magnetic spark plug socket and maybe a small pick or similar tool for the stubborn red locks on the coil connections. You’ll also need some hex keys or sockets for things like the coil hold down screws, throttle body, and the screws on the Whipple Jack shaft cover. If your coils are 7 years old, you might consider replacing them if the resistor pellets inside are heavily corroded. At minimum, replace the boots and pellets. There’s a big spark plug replacement thread already. Most of the same things apply here other than needing to get a few things out of your way to get to all the coils.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
“vash” is spot on with everything he said. There is a big spark plug thread, but they REALLY are not that hard to replace. I had ZERO issue with the wheels removed, and fender liner pulled away and/or removed.

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be good to go as long as you have a decent assortment of sockets, extensions, etc. The only somewhat special tools would be a swiveling magnetic spark plug socket and maybe a small pick or similar tool for the stubborn red locks on the coil connections. You’ll also need some hex keys or sockets for things like the coil hold down screws, throttle body, and the screws on the Whipple Jack shaft cover. If your coils are 7 years old, you might consider replacing them if the resistor pellets inside are heavily corroded. At minimum, replace the boots and pellets. There’s a big spark plug replacement thread already. Most of the same things apply here other than needing to get a few things out of your way to get to all the coils.
Did you take off the TB along with the intake tube? Should it be pushing against the #5 cylinder or do I just need to adjust the tube so it doesn't seem like the #5 wire is getting too much pressure?

Thanks for the info about the jack shaft cover. I forgot that thing might be in the way.

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my coils as a couple are arcing. Does the arcing cause any damage that should be extremely concerning or is it kinda get to it when you can?

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a few misfire codes and I believe the fix for that is either plugs, coils and/or wires. I'm at 130K and I've swapped plugs but now I'm doing wires and coils to see if that fixes the misfire issues.

OP
OP
427windsorman

427windsorman

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t replace my spark plugs since they’re still fairly new, but I did replace all eight ignition coils and plug wires today. Only things I needed to remove to allow access to the coils were the plastic cover for the Jack shaft on the Whipple and the throttle body. I went with NGK coils and Granatelli wires with silicone sleeves and Kevlar boots since I have headers albeit ceramic coated.
You don't happen to have the exact part numbers of the NGK coils and the Granatelli wires, do you?

Tommysyko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://freedommotorsports.com/ford...ord-6-2l-red-wire-ngk6509-spark-plug-package/

Granatelliu # 28-2116S-R
NGK 6510s

Went with NGK Coils. Not sure about the part number.

When I tried to swap the pills from my stock coils to the 0 ohm Granatelli wires I noticed that my stock ones (133K) were a bit corroded and wouldn't even come out on their own. So I figured it was in need of a swap.

I'd contact Rick to get the exact parts needed for your setup. Even with the Black Friday deals from Granatelli, Freedom still had a better deal and quick ship to my house.