Do the '19's have the same issues as '17 and '18?

Does/did your 2019 have any of the engine/transmission issues often discussed here?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdspa

Reaction score
I've been reading through the forums since I am interested in buying a 2019 Raptor, and noticed the recurring theme of engine and transmission issues with some of the Gen 2's. But most seem to be with 2017 and some with the 2018's. I haven't seen anyone with a 2019 with the same issues. I am aware that people with problems post their gripes online while the majority of owners don't have issues, so it seems like there are more problem trucks than there really are. But there is no denying that there are some fairly well known problems. So simple question...

Do you have a 2019, and if so, then have you experienced any of the transmission or engine issues that others have talked about here?

Thank you.

Todd458

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 19. It’s been a pleasure to drive. I did have one minor issue, at least I think it’s minor. I had my oil changed at 2000 miles, by the cheaf mechanic at the Ford dealership which I know. Upon pulling off the skid plate he called me over. There were a few drops of red transmission fluid. He said it was a bad seal. It was fixed in two days. He said it was a minute amount of fluid but nonetheless a leak, that overtime Could’ve caused a problem. Everyone that rides in it is thoroughly impressed by the quietness and smoothness. I’ve owned many vehicles. I had picked up trucks in my younger years. I can save this is actually a fun and enjoyable vehicle as a daily driver

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a 2019 Raptor, and noticed the recurring theme of engine and transmission issues with some of the Gen 2's. But most seem to be with 2017 and some with the 2018's. I haven't seen anyone with a 2019 with the same issues.

first, think about what you’re asking here. the 2017’s have been in customer hands for just over 2 years. 2018’s, just a tick over a year. 2019’s... well, a few months.

2nd, did you miss the 2019 owner how blew his engine at less than 200 miles?

3rd, the “fairly well known” problems are blown way out of proportion by the notorious troll sasquatch77 and her 13 or 14 accounts here, and it drowns out the day to day reality of “my truck just worked today”.

Look at the cam phaser post and how many of the replies are basically irrelevant. when you boil that thread down to owners with an actual problem, it’s not even a percent of known 2017, 2018 and 2019 owners registered on FRF. I’m sure there are bad ones out there. just not as many as some of the more vociferous trolls want everyone to think.

OP
OP
S

sdspa

Reaction score
A lot of the problems that people experienced happened pretty early in their ownership. So it’s been a few months for 2019 owners, so what?

The guy with the blown engine seems like an outlier. Others with engine issues didn’t blow the motor, so I don’t count that as one of the more common issues.

I already acknowledged that reading forums makes the frequency of problems seem worse than it is because people post more about problems than not. But issues that come up with some frequency usually points to initial build quality problems that can get improved with later model years. I’ve seen it too many times. The E60 BMW M5’s SMG, the Audi S5’s clutch.

None of the above makes my question less relevant. Looking for simple answers to my simple question. Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I don’t see a pattern indicating more or less quality year to year in the ‘17+ models. You do have more tech and features on the 19 by way of the new shocks and some revised computer stuff- gauges, display, wifi but still has sync3.

BTW, I was not impugning your question, or its relevancy, rather the near futility of data gathering on this topic via FRF. I can certainly see the value to having that info, but as you’ve acknowledged x2 we’re dealing with subjective observations by those willing to post about it. There are many users here who don’t do a daily catalog of their life on FRF and could have been to the dealer multiple times, others at the other end of the spectrum and everywhere in between. Good luck with the endeavor nonetheless.

bkervaski

Reaction score
Also keep in mind that people will post problems, but won't post their vehicle was reliable today.

Compared to how many F150's being made there seem to be very few problems. It sucks when they pop up but reliability is the normal and issues are infrequent.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the issues on the forum, the good folks here only represent a small portion of Raptor owners .. and a lot of them doing mods which may lead to some issues.

I have found Fords to be very reliable over the last 15 years.

Only 500 miles on mine, so far so good!

OP
OP
S

sdspa

Reaction score
The topics of statistical significance and biases associated with data are definitely not well understood by most. I definitely appreciate all the thoughts.

I’m certainly coming into this purchase decision with my own biases based on experience with the early builds of new models I have bought in the past.

I guess what I hope to get out of all this is a sense of whether publicly aired problems with 17/18 models have dissipated or not with the 19 even though it’s early in 19 ownership. At this point, maybe I’m just looking for that small reason to go ahead and buy what I want so badly! I’m finding some good prices out there so you might see me in the new owner intro thread soon. Thanks all.

Jon D

Reaction score
Had my ‘19 since early February. 800+ miles, no issues other than developing a heavier foot ;)

bkervaski

Reaction score
Had my ‘19 since early February. 800+ miles, no issues other than developing a heavier foot ;)

OT but I think the dealership must have put 89 octane in when they filled it up ... my first fill up the other day was 93 octane and it smoothed things out quite a bit.