Do RPG 1.5” Collars Affect Ride Quality?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jh225

Reaction score
Need some actual real world info from Gen 3 owners with the RPG 1.5” collars……… Do they affect ride quality?

Legacy32

Reaction score
While I have seen plenty of people say no, I don't see how it can't. It puts the spring under preload to lift the truck. Is it enough to be noticeable? I guess that's up to the individual, and how long they drove the truck stock before upgrading it.

I personally think I am going to wait for Eibach or Geiser to release their springs.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have collars (or a gen 3), but there are several potential issues:

1. there are internal bypass holes inside the coilover, so by lifting the truck I would think you change where the holes engage relative to static height of the truck. This has to impact the feel to some degree as you cycle the suspension. Literally becomes harder to move the shock towards compression relatively sooner ,as soon as the bypass valve is no longer accessible because the internal piston has moved past it.

2. On gen 2 trucks the computer would believe that the trucks were in extended position with this kind of lift, and would stiffen significantly via the live valve adjustment. It was really noticeable on my truck. This could be fixed by resetting the computer static setting to a new zero, via software, at the new height. I expect the gen 3s would react the same, and can similarly be fixed by a ford tech.

3. Downtravel is affected (there's 13 or 14 total travel, so if you lift truck - you give it more compression but an equally lesser droop travel. This can result in a relatively worse overall performance as the coilovers will extend to bottom more regularly, creating a real thumping sensation (not good IMO, based on my gen 2 experience. Whether you care about that probably depends on what your driving objectives are, and how much lift you give the truck. Lots posted about these effects re gen 2 collars and springs in the gen 2 forum.

Ryan C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gen 2 but read some of the comments on collars springs in this thread

Chuckaroo91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have seen plenty of people say no, I don't see how it can't. It puts the spring under preload to lift the truck. Is it enough to be noticeable? I guess that's up to the individual, and how long they drove the truck stock before upgrading it.

I personally think I am going to wait for Eibach or Geiser to release their springs.
FYI - Geiser released springs today. Posted on the website for purchase.

Bluu

Reaction score
Can't tell a difference with 1.5" RPF perches on my Gen 3. Unless you're into some serious off-roading and Baja style riding, I doubt you'd ever notice a difference.

Sleepy996

Reaction score
It just kills that baja feel with these trucks when you compress that spring with a collar.

Legacy32

Reaction score
FYI - Geiser released springs today. Posted on the website for purchase.

Yea I saw that this morning. I was looking at them but it seems like 1.5 would lift the front higher than the rear and that's not a look I am going for. I could place a spacer in the rear to help out just not sure what direction I am going to go. I've also read some gen 2 post about the Geiser springs being much stiffer on the road, but also better offroad. I will rarely put this truck to "work" so my wants for street feel out weights what it can do off road.

Hopefully Eibach releases theirs soon, and people post some reviews of each spring.

Chuckaroo91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I saw that this morning. I was looking at them but it seems like 1.5 would lift the front higher than the rear and that's not a look I am going for. I could place a spacer in the rear to help out just not sure what direction I am going to go. I've also read some gen 2 post about the Geiser springs being much stiffer on the road, but also better offroad. I will rarely put this truck to "work" so my wants for street feel out weights what it can do off road.

Hopefully Eibach releases theirs soon, and people post some reviews of each spring.
They claim the 2.5" lift makes it level. We shall see - I ordered a set this morning.

Legacy32

Reaction score
They claim the 2.5" lift makes it level. We shall see - I ordered a set this morning.

They claim it will give you a "leveled look". Not sure what they mean by that it's either leveled or it's not. Their wording makes me skeptical, they discuss their rear springs adding 1-1/2" and you will get a slight raked look. How do you add a 1-1/2" to the rear and end up with a slight rake? 1-1/2" rake is factory rake. Hopefully, I'm looking too much into this.

The two trucks they have on their main page don't look leveled the front is higher. The black truck is defiantly higher in the front the white one looks a lot closer to level.

I am very interested to see your truck and how it looks if it's actually level or not. I want to order mine but I also want to order a rear spring spacer incase it isn't level.

Attachments

• Snip20220825_1.png
    Snip20220825_1.png
    790.2 KB · Views: 54