Do our headlights have a protective coating that would be impacted by PPF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IT8NTEZ

Reaction score
Hey folks,

On my 911's I've *not* put PPF on headlights because it's generally 'known' or eventually learned that removal of the PPF most of the time damages the UV coating on the headlights. The result is spiderlike fissures/hairline that appears over time.

My wife has a '19 Ruby Red with 2K miles with zero chips so far but then you know how this goes ... Is there a special UV coating on the Raptor headlights that PPF will disturb?

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All vehicles have some sort of UV coating on the headlights to prevent the plastic from yellowing over time.

The issue with Porsche headlights is the 'bubble' shape of the lights. The PPF has to be stretched over the light and if installed incorrectly the residual stress of the PPF will cause small hairline cracks at the edges of the light. Raptor headlights have a lot of flat surface area that doesn't require a lot of stretching to install. I installed PPF over my headlights and I have not seen any issues.

OP
OP
IT8NTEZ

IT8NTEZ

Reaction score
All vehicles have some sort of UV coating on the headlights to prevent the plastic from yellowing over time.

The issue with Porsche headlights is the 'bubble' shape of the lights. The PPF has to be stretched over the light and if installed incorrectly the residual stress of the PPF will cause small hairline cracks at the edges of the light. Raptor headlights have a lot of flat surface area that doesn't require a lot of stretching to install. I installed PPF over my headlights and I have not seen any issues.

Thank you for the feedback. It makes good sense.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I've had ppf on my headlights since day 1. at $2K per, I was always more concerned with impact damage over long-term yellowing.

I had had no ill effects and they have been sandblasted repeatedly over the last 2 years. Not a gouge or knick, or yellow spot on them.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have 2 vehicles with PPF, including the Raptor, and one without.

I have to refinish the headlights on the car without PPF.

So, in short, PPF all the way on headlights.