GEN 1 Do new MAF sensors need to be calibrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a new MAF sensor (Motorcraft) in my 2012 the other night. The next day I drove it to work (30 miles) without issue. It sat in the parking garage for 10 hours and when I left the garage, the check engine light came on. It didn’t seem to be running any different, so I drive home and pulled the codes with ForScan. It had a P0111 (indicating that the IAT reading was out of the expected range) and a P0128 (indicating that the engine did not reach operating temp in the expected time).

Obviously, the new MAF sensor is the primary suspect as it was just installed. I read that a P0128 can show up concurrently with the P0111. I cleared the codes and let it sit overnight. The next day I let it idle for about 20 mins and took it to work. No issues. It sat for about 2.5 hours and I drove it home. It threw another P0111, so I hooked up ForScan and looked at the IAT PIDS. At idle in 39 degree weather it was showing an IAT of 188 degrees. Not good. I reinstalled the old MAF sensor and it was reading an IAT of 55 degrees in 39 degree weather.

Question is, did I get a bad MAF sensor, or do I need to do something to calibrate it for the PCM? I really don’t want to clear the KAM again because I just got the truck running and shifting well.

Thanks,

Brad

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Be sure to validate that you got the correct part number before replacing it again. Ford Parts catalog is showing Motorcraft AFLS165 for F-150 with the 6.2.

OP
OP
Gryphon313

Gryphon313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you purchase from? The Chinese have been selling fake Motorcraft parts on Amazon, eBay, etc. Usually the box looks like the attached image.

Amazon. Could be a counterfeit for sure. The little element that is usually red colored is black on this one. I already set up the return. Fool me once…

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Gryphon313 Make sure you order an item that’s shipped and sold by Amazon and not just one of their marketplace sellers. Although, I prefer ordering from Rock Auto, Tasca Parts, or a local dealer if I’m not in a hurry.