Do I want to spend $3k to upgrade the sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was an MECP certified installer back in the late 80's and early 90's and had 2 IASCA competition cars during that time. Was an IASCA judge one season.

All that being said, I have not touched car stereo for 25 years. Devoted all my time and money towards home theater. Have always just dealt with factory stereo since it is much better then what we had back in the 80's and 90's.

Well my kids are older, my home theater is done and updated to the latest tech. Now that I have my new raptor, I am thinking it is time to do a car. The question is, will it be worth it.

As well all know, sirius satalite is compressed garbage. And Mp3 is Mp3. Am I going to notice the difference when source information now a days is junk.

Here is what I have priced out....

Stock head unit
- NAVTV Zen a2b +$850
- JL 5 channel amp + $600
- tbd 2 channle amp for center channel $100

- JL Audi Front 6.5 separates +$200
- JL Audi rear 6.5 coax +$200
- single JBL 3.5 center $75
- 2 JL Audio 12 subs +400 pr

- wood, carpet, wire, dynomat +$500

Any advice or input would be most appreciated.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do you want to spend that money? Hell yeah you do.

my only question would be the center channel - paging @dhmcfadin

if you ditch the factory amp and go the signal processor route - dsr1 or navtv do you still get the muddy, “combined” center channel or should we still ditch the center speaker?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you want to spend that money? Hell yeah you do.

my only question would be the center channel - paging @dhmcfadin

if you ditch the factory amp and go the signal processor route - dsr1 or navtv do you still get the muddy, “combined” center channel or should we still ditch the center speaker?

You will ditch the center speaker with the upgrade. Not needed.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got done with my build and I went a similar route. Ditched the center channel as @dhmcfadin suggested and dont miss it at all. I have a 17 with sony so I could get away with just using the DSR1 instead of a seperate DSP and interface. Curious to hear how the Zen-a2b works out.

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having the following installed next Wednesday:

JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 in a Mobile Toys behind the seat box
JL Audio VX1000/5i
Focal Flax 6.5" component front
Focal Flax 6.5" coaxial rear
SoundSkins dampening for doors
NavTV interface

Can’t wait

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just food for thought I have the 2 jl 13tw5v2-2 in a box from mobile toys they suggested the jl rd 1500 because it was stable at 1ohm to power the subs. The subs will be at 1ohm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To answer op spend it now you’ll just end up upgrading again real fast. You can always turn the volume down

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just food for thought I have the 2 jl 13tw5v2-2 in a box from mobile toys they suggested the jl rd 1500 because it was stable at 1ohm to power the subs. The subs will be at 1ohm.

Isn’t that a single channel amp? I was planning on running everything off one amp. Hmm I may need to talk to those guys again.

Nerdles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. I have a jl hd 600 running the front door components and rear door coaxials. They may know something I don’t that’s for sure but that amp you are looking at does not have 1 ohm in its specs.