Do I need to add air to my tires to make this go away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You run a line of chalk across your tread and drive. If the middle wears off first your pressure is too high. If the edges do, your pressure is too low.

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m also running 32 lb , I’m at the end of life in my set and have more life at the edges, makes sense in my situation, if you know what you’re doing forget the sensor

M60gunr

Reaction score
It’s very cold where I’m located today and this hasn’t happened to me yet. Do I need to add air to my tires? Another question, what does everyone run as far as PSI goes for street driving ?
Cold weather can create false readings from TPMS sensors. Best suggestion is to manually check tire pressure to see if it's low. I have had sensors give false readings in Cold weather when in fact tire pressure was normal.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had an oil change and tire rotation. Gotta love their consistency - always 41 when I pick it up from the dealer. they really want me at 40+
A2DEF1E6-7F2A-4D47-8B1C-F423352A4C03.jpeg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Ford dealership consistently sets mine at 41 all the way around. I go home and drop to 36 front 34 rear cold. Rides much better. When I head west to CO I have to drop another 3 lbs per tire and it comes back up to 36/34.
Discount does the same thing when they rotate mine. I like it. All I have to do is air down the next morning, no need to get the compressor out.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had an oil change and tire rotation. Gotta love their consistency - always 41 when I pick it up from the dealer. they really want me at 40+
View attachment 337594
If it makes you feel better, they fill per the gauge and not the TPMS sensors. My truck, 3 of the sensors are 3lbs more than my gauge and 1 sensor is the same as my gauge. I use my track gauge which was tested and verified accurate by Bridgestone testing tool. TPMS are meant for relative pressures and failure not precision measuring devices.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is true - my gauge seems to be within about -1 to the TPMS measurement. Either way, my comfort meter tells me 41 rides like a model T lumber wagon. Heading to CO this weekend so I will drop to 34F/32R or else the back of my truck will hop around like crazy on western KS I-70.

Tuflehundon

Reaction score
You can change the set psi with Forscan so you don't get the light as often

You can get it lower with aftermarket TPMS. Mine alert at 25psi. I have aftermarket TPMS on gen2 Raptor bead locks that I got as takeoffs.

I'm not sure if you can do it with Forscan. My current truck is too old to do that.

raptor556

Reaction score
I run at rear 36 front 37. Seems that preference varies wildly on here.

Every 10 degrees F will cause the pressure in your tires to go up or down about 1 degree.