Do 2020 Raptors need the catch can modification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Now who ever pushes a Raptor? :D
a seriously strong dude/chick. Don’t laugh; we’ve had numerous posters here on FRF indicate they picked up their Raptors.

nmp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having issues with oil consumption, there is a TSB for that. I have a 2020 and is was eating a decent amount of oil off the bat. I had the TSB done, a software update only, and it completely fixed the issue.

If you are still really torn about the catch can, just remember, its not a big deal. It's a cheap and easy install that is easy to remove if you change your mind.

Last edited:

DINOZR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I both wholeheartedly think it is unnecessary and wholeheartedly like the fact I have one installed. As others have mentioned, the first time you dump out a shot glass of oily sludge after 1-2k miles of driving, it kinda makes you a believer. Yes, I understand the hose setup may change the nature of the system. But I do not think the length of hoses is responsible for the dramatic oil collection you see with a catch can. So the PCV has a oil separator built in? Well a lot of oil is getting past it and into my catch can. I didn't change the PCV valve. It's the same one...letting oil get past it and into my catch can. So even if the length of hose changes the moisture content, the oil content is still an issue.

I may be wrong, and I'm OK with it if I am wrong. Nobody is good/bad, dumb/genius, or any other dichotomy because of whether you choose to install a catch can or not.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an FYI. Changed my oil today and emptied my catch can. I probably haven’t enough in it to worry about it. But we’ll over two oil changes later and we’ll over 10k plus miles I had about a third of the JLT can filled with oil. No milkshake so no condensation whatsoever. Draw your own conclusions.

I’m a believer Ford knows how to engineer there engines. So you can surely survive without one, and have no engine worries. But if you just want the what if insurance and possibly a cleaner intake charge then go for it.

9CA7B23B-029D-4B04-930F-C44F94584371.jpegE2C75420-6AFB-492A-B772-801D623B4740.jpeg

Raptorbegone

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum, and am about to pull the trigger on a new, leftover 2020 base model SCAB which my local dealer has in stock and is offering a good discount on. My biggest concern is red or silver grey.

Other than wishing I could retrofit a larger, 36 gallon tank in a SCAB (I don't think that is possible due to the shorter wheelbase, but please prove me wrong) I only have one remaining issue - should I buy and install a catch can on the crankcase breather?

I understand that some early versions of the 3.5 developed carbon deposits, but has Ford figured this out for the 2019 and 2020 models?

Should an issue arise with the engine, will this modification void the warranty?
short answer. no. none of them do