DMV off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Homies - I do serious off roading right here on I-295 in DC. It's got more potholes per mile than anywhere on the planet and there are drivers from PG County that constantly weave in and out of traffic as if they are on - wait for it - illegal drugs. So overall it's thrilling as Moab and right here.

Another cool place to off road - kind of close by - is the northern part of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Air down cowboys and dive in just north of Duck - BTW - check the tide tables and write down the time of LOW TIDE. You can drive on the beach and then turn west into these weird "neighborhoods." Beware - there are wild horses that have the run of the place and if you hurt one of even touch one you're going to federal court and it's a bad deal. But - in the off season - there's nobody there and you can have a blast.
Just north of carova up to the nc/va state line is prob the most isolated and least frequented.

also- you will end up having a nice conversation with a wildlife official if your dog chases the wild ponies. ( ask me how i know. heh)

Closer than rausch creek are the pine barrens in southern new jersey. its all sand and sandy mud if it has been raining. ( at least its not rock crawling)

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading Outdoors is next door to Rausch Creek and has some wide open sections (it's coal mining land and you can drive in the areas they aren't actively using). You buy a permit and can drive around their land whenever you want (watch out for ATVs/dirtbikes though) https://readingoutdoors.com/

Rausch Creek is almost entirely Jeep crawling, but has a high speed area they open a couple times a year for the Raptor Takeover events: https://www.raptortakeover.com/

I personally find the Raptor too wide to really enjoy the Jeep trails and slow crawling.

A lot of midatlantic people are driving to the Snoball or Silver Lake (MI), Durhamtown (GA) or even as far as Texas for the Raptor Run.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Levels - Raphine area has some good trails off the BRP, theres also some good fire roads in GWNF. Once you’ve gotten bored of all the rules in OBX,(it was great 30 years ago when you could camp on the beach) take the ferry from Atlantic out to Portsmouth Island or out of Davis to Cape Lookout. The red drum should be running right about now.