DMV off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Simply put, I want to go off roading in the DMV. If you have to ask yourself what DMV is, you are not in the correct states hahah.

Do

SuthJL

Reaction score
I'm out in CAshburn, VA and the ones I know of are Rausch Creek in PA and Chaos in WV. We've been to Chaos with our Wrangler and we enjoyed it.

OP
OP
D

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here is the thing...

I want to go, but I'm not super interested in climbing 3 foot rocks. I need to warm up to this.

anymajordude

Reaction score
Homies - I do serious off roading right here on I-295 in DC. It's got more potholes per mile than anywhere on the planet and there are drivers from PG County that constantly weave in and out of traffic as if they are on - wait for it - illegal drugs. So overall it's thrilling as Moab and right here.

Another cool place to off road - kind of close by - is the northern part of the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Air down cowboys and dive in just north of Duck - BTW - check the tide tables and write down the time of LOW TIDE. You can drive on the beach and then turn west into these weird "neighborhoods." Beware - there are wild horses that have the run of the place and if you hurt one of even touch one you're going to federal court and it's a bad deal. But - in the off season - there's nobody there and you can have a blast.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Homies - I do serious off roading right here on I-295 in DC. It's got more potholes per mile than anywhere on the planet and there are drivers from PG County that constantly weave in and out of traffic as if they are on - wait for it - illegal drugs. So overall it's thrilling as Moab and right here...

yeah, but there are many problems with I295

1) it’s in DC and no matter how many times you try to gentrify a giant slum, it will always be a slum.
2) you run a substantially higher risk of being shot on I295 than any other roadway around with the sole exception of a few blocks in downtown slum.
3) hyper-miling prius. need I say more?
4) speed cameras.
5) so called “construction zone” speed traps.
6) DC ... “licensed” CDL truck drivers. I use the term licensed very loosely. You’ll be hard pressed to find a lesser skilled segment of drivers.
7) overcrowded as **** How can you traverse whoops in 15mph bumper to bumper traffic?

So yeah, 295 and ... well, all of DC is a little too low rent/slum for me.

Now, PG used to have some pretty decent off roading many years back but that went away with overcrowding the already overcrowded area.

Also, agree about OBX. Lots of sand with lots of access.