DIY Tire Rotation (TPMS problems?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheelman, this may be the best advice I've ever read on any forum: "Just go there, don’t OCD on this." I do tend to get a bit OCD on projects, but I like knowing what I'm getting into, and what the end result should be. Guess it'll be off to Discount when it gets close to rotation time. Just rolled over 3k miles so a ways off yet. Thanks for the encouragement.

lottp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the TPMS tool, but couldn't get it to work on the new TPMS that was installed on the spare a couple months back. I never had an issue on the original tires. After giving up on that, I took it for a drive and the truck figured it out on it's own and registered the new TPMS in the spare after a couple miles.

Seems to me like the TPMS training is only needed if you get a problem or some major system reset. Otherwise, the truck just takes care of itself while driving.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread and dumb new question from
me. What do y’all do to get all 4 wheels off the ground for the tire rotation? I guess rears go to front same side and fronts go to rear opposite side?

I have 16k miles on mine and unfortunately haven’t rotated them yet and noticed rears were definitely less tread than fronts so need to rotate soon.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do a 5-tire rotation including the spare, so I can do one wheel at a time. Spare to passenger rear. Psgr rear to Psgr front. Psgr front to drivers rear. Drivers rear to Drivers front. Drivers front to spare. If you do this every 5k-7.5k miles at each oil change, by the time the tires are worn out, each has been in every position.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old thread and dumb new question from
me. What do y’all do to get all 4 wheels off the ground for the tire rotation? I guess rears go to front same side and fronts go to rear opposite side?

I have 16k miles on mine and unfortunately haven’t rotated them yet and noticed rears were definitely less tread than fronts so need to rotate soon.

Jack stands to get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time. I rotate the tires every oil change, and I do oil changes a bit more frequent than necessary, I shoot for 3000 miles but sometimes push to 4500 or so. I realize this is more often than needed, especially with synthetic, but it is what I want.

I have 7 tires mounted, but only rotate 6 of them, the 7th is the original spare still in place under the bed. The 6 I use are KO2 load range E tires, the original spare is a KO2 load range C, so I don't mix it in under normal conditions. However, the 6 I do rotate I treat just as I would if I only was rotating 3 axles. Mine go back to front, same side, and front crossed to rear. In my case I treat the two spares as if they were a second rear axle. So the crossed wheels go to the two spares, and the two spares go to the rear, having been crossed last time I took them off.

A point to consider, use the right 6 point 21 mm metric socket. A sloppy 12 point 13/16 inch standard may fit, and a 7/8 inch definitely will, but the 7/8 will have excessive slop and will mar / ruin the aluminum skin of the factory lug nuts. Also, if you take it to a tire shop, make sure they use the right socket for the same reason.

T!

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jack stands to get all 4 wheels off the ground at the same time. I rotate the tires every oil change, and I do oil changes a bit more frequent than necessary, I shoot for 3000 miles but sometimes push to 4500 or so. I realize this is more often than needed, especially with synthetic, but it is what I want.

I have 7 tires mounted, but only rotate 6 of them, the 7th is the original spare still in place under the bed. The 6 I use are KO2 load range E tires, the original spare is a KO2 load range C, so I don't mix it in under normal conditions. However, the 6 I do rotate I treat just as I would if I only was rotating 3 axles. Mine go back to front, same side, and front crossed to rear. In my case I treat the two spares as if they were a second rear axle. So the crossed wheels go to the two spares, and the two spares go to the rear, having been crossed last time I took them off.

A point to consider, use the right 6 point 21 mm metric socket. A sloppy 12 point 13/16 inch standard may fit, and a 7/8 inch definitely will, but the 7/8 will have excessive slop and will mar / ruin the aluminum skin of the factory lug nuts. Also, if you take it to a tire shop, make sure they use the right socket for the same reason.

T!

Thank you very much for all the great information! I appreciate it!