DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! you’re damn right I was being lazy, but there was also a substantial amount of apportioning money for other projects, and I really lacked a ‘plan’ for my audio when I started. I did look at some online ‘building a sub enclosure’ and assessed it was something best left to professionals or even amateurs possessing of more craftsmanship and skill than me.

Of course, if I had it to do again, I’d plan first, pick components and go. buy once, cry once.

My point is, you don’t have spend more than 200 bucks to do it right and have a drastic improvement.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh. it’s an inexpensive / immediate option for the budget minded. I guess depending on needs, but it’s either cram an 8” into the stock enclosure - meaning a heat gun, maybe some wrap and a new sub or go full on MTI behind the seat enclosure or under the seat if you don’t mind losing storage area.

I assume there aren’t any significant other differences from the previous Sony system, so yeah only adding an amp and sub still helps, but it’s not audiophile type improvements. I’ve done the cheap kicker sub and kenwood amp and it was a huge improvement over the sony. And the MTI 10” was an order of magnitude better than that so it depends on the short and long term goals. As this is/was the ‘under $500’ thread, I disagree that the stock enclosure, shallow 8” with an amp won’t be an improvement.

There is a major difference between the Sony enclosure and b&o. The b&o enclosure is ported. Having a sub in that enclosure with no idea of what frequency the b&o enclosure is tuned to will make it sound even worse.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So the B&O is ported. I haven’t been back there to really see yet. Very true, unless we know enclosure volume and what that port is tuned to, it would be a crap shoot just getting a better driver for it. If it was sealed, then it’s a little easier. I’m not a fan of ported enclosures. I like sealed as I like tighter bass, vs blah louder boomy bass.

So is the MTI for a 10” the only thing still on the market as for an off the shelf enclosure? I’m not sure if I’m ready to trash my interior insulation yet. I have done all kinds of mods in the past for sound. Just trying to keep it clean and simple if at all possible now.

A lot of good points have been expressed. Thanks

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the B&O is ported. I haven’t been back there to really see yet. Very true, unless we know enclosure volume and what that port is tuned to, it would be a crap shoot just getting a better driver for it. If it was sealed, then it’s a little easier. I’m not a fan of ported enclosures. I like sealed as I like tighter bass, vs blah louder boomy bass.

So is the MTI for a 10” the only thing still on the market as for an off the shelf enclosure? I’m not sure if I’m ready to trash my interior insulation yet. I have done all kinds of mods in the past for sound. Just trying to keep it clean and simple if at all possible now.

A lot of good points have been expressed. Thanks

You can put a single sub under the rear seat with a quick disconnect and then you modify nothing.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very true and have done this before. But I’d like to preserve the floor space and go behind the seat if at all possible.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very true and have done this before. But I’d like to preserve the floor space and go behind the seat if at all possible.

Then you will have to modify the foam padding on the back wall. Also keep in mind that your back seat will no longer operate without forcing it in the up position. The face of the sub will literally be pushed up against the seat back when folded up. You won’t be able to use the sub in this position unless you want to risk damage.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is why I’m not feeling to keen on the MTI even though it houses a 10”.