DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He told me he had never heard that complaint, ever, because SAT radio is CD quality.

There is no such thing as CD quality. A CD is just a medium. Crap in crap out.

Sirius broadcast @ 160kbs to save bandwidth. And they are full of crap if they say no one has ever complained. They used to broadcast @ 190kbs, but when they merged with XM, they had to lower their bandwidth to account for all the exta channels.

Spoken work stations like NPR, get broadcast at 128kbs.

Yes the average 44 khz @ 16 bit is the equivalent of 160kbs in MP3 speak. In terms of data. But CD's record in wave files without the compression. So they don't sound like ass.

Spotifys high definition audio of 320kbs sounds decent, but the problem is there is still a compression that is very noticeable on the lows and highs.

For me...CD is best, then HD radio, then Spotify, Then Itunes, then Sirius in terms of sound quality.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
let’s say I want to stay $1000-$1500 bucks to upgrade 800A. What would be ideal. I listen to All kinds of music but mostly Country and Rock. thanks for the help!

I have the 802a/B&O Play, so most of my research/knowledge pertains to that.

I would most certainly defer to Dom (dhmcfadin) in this thread/above, and Noah, here:

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/posts/1380394/

These guys know what they are talking about.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is no such thing as CD quality. A CD is just a medium. Crap in crap out.

For me...CD is best, then HD radio, then Spotify, Then Itunes, then Sirius in terms of sound quality.

Obviously you know a shit ton more about the new audio than I do. I'm pretty ignorant of the new electronics. What is the best option to rip my cd's so I can play them on the 802a/B&O? Buy an mp3 player? Can you point me to some good info to educate myself on this?

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
let’s say I want to stay $1000-$1500 bucks to upgrade 800A. What would be ideal. I listen to All kinds of music but mostly Country and Rock. thanks for the help!

If you don’t already have a sub, (I have an 802a) Budget for a 10” sub, ~ 400-500w rms, and 4 channels at 50-75w. Best option would be get a single 5 channel amp that will drive the sub and your main channels. I ran Morel components up front and put the tweeters in the stock pillar location. it’s a little extra work but delivers a good return in sound. good components are a little on the pricey side, so if budget constraints interfere, coax will suffice, you can revisit later.

I like the MTI behind the seat enclosure, but loaded that’s pricey, about 1k right off the top. You do get the JL Audio sub and amp too, and I’m very happy with the performance. You may have a tough time meeting your budget here, possibly save some $$$ with an under the seat enclosure for now if you want that floor space.

Budget for + and ground home runs to the battery, and over wire, don’t skimp.

I don’t think you need a DSP for the 800a, but I’m not certain and will have to defer to others with more experience upgrading the 800a tunes.

I think you can be close to $1500, or at least under $2k.

This was kind of my objective with the upgrades and I am happy with the outcome - but, I’m over $2k spent.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Obviously you know a shit ton more about the new audio than I do. I'm pretty ignorant of the new electronics. What is the best option to rip my cd's so I can play them on the 802a/B&O? Buy an mp3 player? Can you point me to some good info to educate myself on this?

FLAC is the best format to keep quality as high as possible.

The problem is finding a way to play the files without a pc.

I use itunes and set it to rip at the max rate of 320kbps. Here is an easy instructional.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/rip-high-quality-mp3-itunes/

this is on par with spotify premium.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FLAC is the best format to keep quality as high as possible.

The problem is finding a way to play the files without a pc.

I use itunes and set it to rip at the max rate of 320kbps. Here is an easy instructional.

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/rip-high-quality-mp3-itunes/

this is on par with spotify premium.

So, one more dumb question from the old guy, What would you buy to load the files on? I'll have to buy something anyway, what would be best? MP3 player, a small notebook/laptop? I'm pretty computer literate, but I haven't kept up at all with the newer portable music tech.

WAYTALL

Reaction score
If you don’t already have a sub, (I have an 802a) Budget for a 10” sub, ~ 400-500w rms, and 4 channels at 50-75w. Best option would be get a single 5 channel amp that will drive the sub and your main channels. I ran Morel components up front and put the tweeters in the stock pillar location. it’s a little extra work but delivers a good return in sound. good components are a little on the pricey side, so if budget constraints interfere, coax will suffice, you can revisit later.

I like the MTI behind the seat enclosure, but loaded that’s pricey, about 1k right off the top. You do get the JL Audio sub and amp too, and I’m very happy with the performance. You may have a tough time meeting your budget here, possibly save some $$$ with an under the seat enclosure for now if you want that floor space.

Budget for + and ground home runs to the battery, and over wire, don’t skimp.

I don’t think you need a DSP for the 800a, but I’m not certain and will have to defer to others with more experience upgrading the 800a tunes.

I think you can be close to $1500, or at least under $2k.

This was kind of my objective with the upgrades and I am happy with the outcome - but, I’m over $2k spent.

thanks for the advice Smurf. The MTI subs do look great, but that’s a decent chunk of cheddar... guess I have some things to consider before moving forward with just swapping out speakers.
Again thanks to all for a very informative thread.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Just sayin’ ... PayPal credit, pay off in 6 months, interest free. it’s like layaway.

Paraphrasing @goblues38 - once you’re able to drop all the windows at 70mph, turn up the stereo and -clearly- hear the music of your choice, you’ll be glad you spent what was required to make it sound good.

Bubba Shot the Jukebox deserves to be played loud. ;)

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, one more dumb question from the old guy, What would you buy to load the files on? I'll have to buy something anyway, what would be best? MP3 player, a small notebook/laptop? I'm pretty computer literate, but I haven't kept up at all with the newer portable music tech.

Iphone or Android work perfect for the car. Or you could also just load directly onto a USB stick.

At home, there are plenty of ways to get your phone or computers hooked up to you tv / stereo. I have several apple tv's hooked up to several stereos at my home. easy way to get whole home audio.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just sayin’ ... PayPal credit, pay off in 6 months, interest free. it’s like layaway.

Paraphrasing @goblues38 - once you’re able to drop all the windows at 70mph, turn up the stereo and -clearly- hear the music of your choice, you’ll be glad you spent what was required to make it sound good.

Bubba Shot the Jukebox deserves to be played loud. ;)

yep...it was 65 and sunny last weekend here for the 1st time in 3 months. AC/DC Back in Black was in order. Everyone should be able to feel a bass guitar along with their ears. It is music.