DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, I just had this discussion with a rep at Sirius. I got 3 free months in my beater truck and they called to ask me how I liked it. I told him I thought the sound quality was crap. Reminded me of a junk amp that was clipping both highs and lows. He told me he had never heard that complaint, ever, because SAT radio is CD quality.
It depends on the tuner used...Ford has the bad/muddy one. Daimler-Chrysler/Audi, etc have the good one. It is very annoying if you are trying to upgrade your audio and a primary source sounds like complete crap. Is anyone streaming Sirius from their phone and if so is the quality better? I would hope so.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone has answered this question, but I would be interested as well. I have a 2020 800A. Any speaker swap worth doing or is a complete overhaul needed?

"Needed" is the key word. No, it's not needed, and it's always subjective. There's no way to replicate a full system overhaul with just a speaker swap. With an 800a, at least it's easier for you.

However, if you just want to try a speaker upgrade first, I'd try some 6x9 components from JBL/Infinity. Can be had for $150 or so, and are 3ohm speakers designed to play louder off factory amps alone. If that's not enough, then upgrade further. I would not bother with the rears unless you add an amp.

I did JBL speakers only in my 2018 802a and it made a noticeable improvement, especially from the kickpanel mid-bass drivers. The stock units there are literal paper/tiny magnet crap. Good luck, whatever you choose.

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a Dodge in the past. Same muddy sound. I know at least two other males that have the lower grade sound quality. HD Radio or Pandora blow it away sound quality wise. But if you get a discount on a plan, I think having more sources to listen to the better and live with it.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Dodge in the past. Same muddy sound. I know at least two other males that have the lower grade sound quality. HD Radio or Pandora blow it away sound quality wise. But if you get a discount on a plan, I think having more sources to listen to the better and live with it.

I've had it in an Audi, in my wife's Mercedes, and a Chrysler 200 rental car when I went to Raptor Assault, and those tuners are different/better. It goes back to who had deals with Sirius/XM originally.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s a CD? Lmao. Yes I’m sure that CD sounds a lot better.

It’s too bad how some tuners are butchering a digital sat stream still at this point in time.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What’s a CD? Lmao. Yes I’m sure that CD sounds a lot better.

It’s too bad how some tuners are butchering a digital sat stream still at this point in time.

And even the "good" ones are limited by bandwidth/compression. Still better than what we have, but not as good as other sources, for sure.

WAYTALL

Reaction score
"Needed" is the key word. No, it's not needed, and it's always subjective. There's no way to replicate a full system overhaul with just a speaker swap. With an 800a, at least it's easier for you.

However, if you just want to try a speaker upgrade first, I'd try some 6x9 components from JBL/Infinity. Can be had for $150 or so, and are 3ohm speakers designed to play louder off factory amps alone. If that's not enough, then upgrade further. I would not bother with the rears unless you add an amp.

I did JBL speakers only in my 2018 802a and it made a noticeable improvement, especially from the kickpanel mid-bass drivers. The stock units there are literal paper/tiny magnet crap. Good luck, whatever you choose.

let’s say I want to stay $1000-$1500 bucks to upgrade 800A. What would be ideal. I listen to All kinds of music but mostly Country and Rock. thanks for the help!