DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisk2361

Reaction score
no budget. just something to power all the speakers. middle of the road would be good. and yes i need a sub amp as well. im guessing i need a 5 channel amp for the 5 speakers and mono for the sub?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no budget. just something to power all the speakers. middle of the road would be good. and yes i need a sub amp as well. im guessing i need a 5 channel amp for the 5 speakers and mono for the sub?

5 speakers? You don’t need to retain the center channel. It’s only there to make up for the poor output of the Sony speakers.

Yes, either a 5 channel or a 4 channel and sub amp.

I really like AudioControl. You could go with the 6.1200 and bridge the last two channels for your sub.

shelteredraptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, I haven't looked here in a long while because {I thought} the thread was about $500.00 upgrades. A pair of the Focals I installed were about twice that. Maybe someone should add a zero to the thread title.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original formula brings life into a very flat, muddy radio. Again as I like to put it... it goes from a 2/10 to a 6/10. It takes bucks to go beyond there. I have another thread for that. :)

Funny, I haven't looked here in a long while because {I thought} the thread was about $500.00 upgrades. A pair of the Focals I installed were about twice that. Maybe someone should add a zero to the thread title.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@Guy,

it makes me wonder what an intermediate level would look like.

Maybe ... 2k or 2.5k?

’17 - DSR1 + harnesses about ... $300?
‘18+ b&0 - navtv right? about $800 ?

amps of choice let’s say $150-500 for main speakers
sub amp / sub about $400 - the moon.

Wiring - about $100? if you do it right up front and you ever get the itch to add more power, it will only be minimally expensive to add a bigger amp, etc.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smurf,

I experimented with various speaker grades. Mid level... and honestly... it left me wanton.

Now granted that could be a Hertz thing...

But if you wanted to be conservative... Dsr1 on a 17.... decent 4 channel amp with a passive crossover for the doors and front tweeters to take up two channels, two channels to the rear coax... one mono amp for the sub. I’d do a minimum of one under seat 12.... you could do it for 3 grand probably.

I think I spent around 5-7. I’ll be honest I didn’t keep track and it’s better that way! LOL

@Guy,

it makes me wonder what an intermediate level would look like.

Maybe ... 2k or 2.5k?

’17 - DSR1 + harnesses about ... $300?
‘18+ b&0 - navtv right? about $800 ?

amps of choice let’s say $150-500 for main speakers
sub amp / sub about $400 - the moon.

Wiring - about $100? if you do it right up front and you ever get the itch to add more power, it will only be minimally expensive to add a bigger amp, etc.