DIY stereo upgrade for under $500.00

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For Sony, use the Rockford DSR1 for integration/dsp. Completely plug and play, absolutely no splicing of the factory harness, integrated chime volume and routing, etc. Makes your install as easy as plugging three plugs together. Also, you always use an external dsp if you prefer that instead of the built in Rockford dsp.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a local installer, they seem to believe the audiocontrol dm-608 is the way to go. Is the main benefit of the Rockford DSR1 the ease of integration? If that is so, is there another way to integrate the DM-608 to the 2017 sony system that would not send the signal through the DSR1, to the dm-608 and to the amp?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your installer needs to do some more research. I wouldn’t use him if he’s willing to hack your harness apart when there are plug and play options. The Dsr1 is the correct way to integrate into the Sony system with no splicing.

You use the Dsr1 to remove and replace the factory Sony amp/dsp. The Dsr1 removes any factory eq, bassroll off, etc. The Dsr1 also has a very robust Rockford 360.3 dsp built into it. It does everything that the Audiocontrol dm-608 does. You are throwing money in the trash by using the dm-608 in conjunction with the Dsr1. The 608 is redundant. The 608 would only be beneficial if a factory integration module didn’t exist and you needed to sum channels and compensate for eq roll off. The Dsr1 eliminates both of those needs. Please trust me on this.

But like I said in my first post, you can set the Dsr1 to be a pass through so you can use an external DSP like the dm-608. It’s just not necessary unless you are dead set on having the 608. But either way, there is no other route I would go for factory integration for Sony other than the Dsr1.

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what about for a B&O system?

For B&O you would use the NavTV Zen a2b. Same concept as the Dsr1 but it is capable of converting the digital a2b communication protocol of the B&O system.

But with the Zen a2b, you will want to use a stand alone dsp as NavTV has not yet released their dsp software and their is no estimated release date.

royCfus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your installer needs to do some more research. I wouldn’t use him if he’s willing to hack your harness apart when there are plug and play options. The Dsr1 is the correct way to integrate into the Sony system with no splicing.

You use the Dsr1 to remove and replace the factory Sony amp/dsp. The Dsr1 removes any factory eq, bassroll off, etc. The Dsr1 also has a very robust Rockford 360.3 dsp built into it. It does everything that the Audiocontrol dm-608 does. You are throwing money in the trash by using the dm-608 in conjunction with the Dsr1. The 608 is redundant. The 608 would only be beneficial if a factory integration module didn’t exist and you needed to sum channels and compensate for eq roll off. The Dsr1 eliminates both of those needs. Please trust me on this.

But like I said in my first post, you can set the Dsr1 to be a pass through so you can use an external DSP like the dm-608. It’s just not necessary unless you are dead set on having the 608. But either way, there is no other route I would go for factory integration for Sony other than the Dsr1.

Thanks for your input. I ordered the DSR1. Is there a specific harness that rockford makes to pair with it or does it come with everything that is needed? Also, I am thinking the stock speaker wire will not handle 75-100w RMS. Should I be running new wire, say 14 or 16 gauge?

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I ordered the DSR1. Is there a specific harness that rockford makes to pair with it or does it come with everything that is needed? Also, I am thinking the stock speaker wire will not handle 75-100w RMS. Should I be running new wire, say 14 or 16 gauge?

Stock speaker wire is more than enough for your setup. You need to order the Maestro F02 harness to interface with your truck.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794HA...35PUFIta4mLk_Vq2lKYScua84dlbRKyEaAtowEALw_wcB

chrisk2361

Reaction score
I have Sony system. What amp do you recommend to replace the factory sony amp. I will get the dsr1 and the harness. I dont need anything crazy loud. I dont want to run new speaker wires.

thanks

dhmcfadin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Sony system. What amp do you recommend to replace the factory sony amp. I will get the dsr1 and the harness. I dont need anything crazy loud. I dont want to run new speaker wires.

thanks

What’s your budget? Do you need a sub amp as well?